Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: I've started but should I finish?

[ Edited ]

Coming from a Business Development background whenever I see the words 'often' and 'many' I just read wishful thinking, without the data to back it up none of us can really know what the truth currently is.

I hope you are right but years of trying to figure out what a customer wants leads me to a different conclusion.

Also (not a scientific analysis by any means) but If you take a look at the current top 20 apps (not games) in BlackBerry World you'll see it lends support to my argument as only two of the apps (disregarding the BlackBerry ones) are native originals.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

if there is no native app for something the android port will be taken, sure.

as a business developer android is no competition as the work partition does not have the runtime.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

[ Edited ]

On your first point just take a look at the top Music Player 'Neutron Music Player' non-native, non BB-UI with several hundred competing apps some of which are B4BB. Users are willing to buy a £3.50 non-native app over all the other native ones.

Sorry I don't get your second point.

[edit] Ok I think I get what you are saying in that second point now, that Android does not have access to the business side (i.e BES, BIS) that's a fair point and for those writing apps for that side/aspect of the phone a good reason to continue.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha C,Z10 LE
My Carrier: China Unicom

I have just searched in blackberry world,the "Neutron Music Player" is a native application in its description.

Developer

Did you take a look at the screenshots? BB UI don't think so.

Developer

[ Edited ]

One of the bullet points even states 'Android Widgets' LOL.

Also according to the description we are now able to place our apps on the SD card, I must have missed that in the OS updates. Smiley Wink

Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

Agreed, games are a different ball game, and I don't consider them competition for me since I develop productivity apps. I'm not surprised that ported games are accepted as easily as native ones since the UI for games doesn't benefit from being native. That said, this only applies to free games, since ported games can't make in-app purchases from the Google Play Store. This alone is incentive for the big players to make a native version that can purchase upgrades from BBWorld, and motivation for game players to want a native version than they can play all the features and levels on. I do agree though that anyone with a lot of games on their handset will have a native/ported ratio skewed towards Android.

I've seen those reviews too and I agree that even "average" (i.e. not techie) users will mostly prefer a native app to a ported one. Whenever I read the CrackBerry editorial new/upgraded app alerts they will add a "too bad it's not native" disclaimer not matter how much they like it otherwise.

simon_hain wrote:
games are a different field. all bb10 users i know don't like android ports, and looking at reviews i often see a "missing" star for non-native apps even if they work good.

the integration in native apps (especially bfb) is just better, and i think customers reward that.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer

Yep, perhaps my viewpoint and lack of concern about Adroid port competition comes from my business/productivity app orientation. I came to mobile development from nearly thirty years of corporate/government contract desktop development, and this arena is where native really shines over ported. Just look at the joy in Whoville when we got a native Evernote app, despite there already being an official Android port in BBWorld. I bet nobody chose to keep using the port once a native version was available.

As another example, I recently tried out the LastPass Android port on BBWorld. Check out the reviews on BBWorld... virtually every single one is b**ching about it not being native and not integrating properly with the UI.

simon_hain wrote:
if there is no native app for something the android port will be taken, sure.

as a business developer android is no competition as the work partition does not have the runtime.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer

LastPass!!! Now you are just rubbing salt in to my wound. :-)

Developer

My bad. I didn't realize you had a dog in the fight with your stokLocker app. At least you can take comfort that so many LastPass users are complaining about the BB10 experience.

BBSJdev wrote:
LastPass!!! Now you are just rubbing salt in to my wound. :-)