Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, DAC, SQN100-3, STL100-1, STL100-2
My Carrier: MTS RUS

Is there or will be legal way to write down own kernel module for blackberry 10 and share via App World?

I'd like to write an application that helps Blackberry10 acts like usb CD-ROM drive: choose and mount, for example, an ISO image, insert usb cable into the phone and you can install OS on new PC or run livecd of favourite Linux distro in security way.

I understand this means I need to write my own kernel module, which can compromise phone security, but may be modules may work in an user space or a sandbox?

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Is there or will be legal way to write down own kernel module for blackberry 10 and share via App World?

My understanding is that under QNX architecture, nothing actually runs in the kernel space. All of the device drivers actually run in user space, which is why if any one subsystem crashes, it doesn't bring down the entire OS. The kernel is completely independent of all processes and systems, and simply serves to pass messages between different processes.

That said, I very much doubt you will be able to write an app that is allowed permission to modify the way the USB port is accessed. Allowing such access opens the door to things like keyloggers, which is pretty contradictory to RIM's security edict.

To be honest, this may be a space where Android is a better fit for your application idea.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Passport / Nokia N950
My Carrier: -

Re: Is there or will be legal way to write down own kernel module for blackberry 10 and share via App World?

Since I'm a maemo guy I would love to see something like this on the next BB10 device. Please try to do it if it is possible.

I already hope there will be a normal usb-massstorage mode and hopefully also usb-OTG to connect my camera to my handset just like at my old Nokia N8.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9900 & PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

We spoke with the USB guys at Orlando, and it seems that only USB serial mode is going to be supported. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Founder of Pulsecode Inc. and taab
Authomator - Two-factor authentication codes on BlackBerry 10 - http://www.xitijpatel.com/ - Follow @xitijpatel
Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry 9790, BlackBerry PlayBook 64Gb, BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: MTS

Hi all,

It's true, that there are not kernel modules for QNX at all (in Linux terminology). The Tablet OS and PlayBook OS are both QNX in main with own windowing subsystem (and specific configuration). As for QNX, it supports USB mass-storage, USB OTG, etc. But BlackBerry 10 is not only OS. It's software/hardware platform.

I think if these possibilities (USB mass storage, for example) should add by RIM, they will be have enough security. But don't wait this in BlackBerry 10, may be in BlackBerry 12. Smiley Wink
Respectfully,
Oleg

Developer, QNX RTOS, BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook
Follow me on Twitter (in Russian)
St.Petersburg BlackBerry Dev. Group
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Passport / Nokia N950

I understand the security issues regarding USB massstorage mode and what this could cause.
If someone gets physical access to your device he gets access to your data, at least if it is not password protected. The other way around you could lose all your files if there is a virus on the Host.

But since it is a often needed feature it should be at least configurable and by default off.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None

HorizonXP wrote:

We spoke with the USB guys at Orlando, and it seems that only USB serial mode is going to be supported. But someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I heard as well.  I guess we were at the same session on Unconference Day?

Sucroid.com
Sweet Apps for the Fans
Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: playbook

Since I'm a meego guy I would love to see something like this on the next BB10 device. Please try to do it if it is possible.