Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodacom

Let's talk App Analytics

Ok, so I want to implement analytics in my app (which is on the store already).

The only one I know of is Flurry. Is this the only successful and efficient option?

I'd like to hear opinions from others on which they've used and recommend, thanks.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 Limited Edition
My Carrier: Bonbon

Re: Let's talk App Analytics

I use Flurry and most others do to. It's easy to implement, works quite good and provides quality data.

Distimo is another i recommend but it doesn't require app integration. It hooks up to your Vendor portal reports.

Strangely, it provides more detailed data than BlackBerry Vendor portal reports.

Developer

Thanks, I'll take a look at Distimo too. Appreciate your input Smiley Happy
Developer

[ Edited ]

Just another question, how far does Flurry etc. analyze the user in-app usage, such as, which links they click on, content they view etc. (I have a news reader app called SAFeed on the app store).

So what I'm asking is the depth of the analysis. I've never implemented analytics on apps before but keen to.

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

with flurry you can setup custom events.

so if you have a red button and a green button you could add a function that tells flurry red button was clicked, or green button was clicked and it will add up the total (for everyone who uses the app)

it's very easy to do and is covered in the setup guide for flurry

Highlighted
Developer

Great stuff slashkyle, I've already downloaded the flurry BlackBerry SDK and going through the guide.

Distimo concerns me though. It seems you need to disclose your app world developer login to get more in-depth analytics for the app, unless I'm mistaken (I had to go out so couldn't check thoroughly).
Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

with Distimo,

sort of, it has you create a reports only account for them to access so you're not giving them your own password.

really the only downside of using Distimo is they get access to exactly how much money/downloads you are bringing in... Personally I really don't care what they know... some do. 

I find it to be 100x more convenient that vendor portal reports, they even send you an e-mail every day with charts and the previous days downloads and revenue

Developer

Never had any security issue with Distimo. Like any analytics, of course, they collect data. But not passwords.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks. I'm trying to implement the flurry code but I seem to have a problem with starting the session part of the C++ code. Momentics IDE marks the line with a red error icon "expected primary-expeession before 'const'"

The code line is as follows

"Flurry::Analytics::StartSession(const String &anAPIkey, const Map &anOptions = Map()) ;"

I did put in the app key replacing "&anAPIkey" bi not sure why I have this problem. Any idea what I'm missing. Seems the online guide and the downloaded SDK guide has code variations (I tried both). I'm not a C++ wiz, so you know Smiley Happy

I'll try Distimo too though.

Developer

This line should be:

Flurry::Analytics:Smiley FrustratedtartSession("YOURAPIKEY");