Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

Licensing Model for BB10 apps in AppWorld

On the BB dev website, I found the following:

Apps running on the BlackBerry 10 OS use a static license model, regardless of the selection made for license model in the vendor portal.

Does it mean that we dont need to bother about the licensing model for BB10 apps and leave it to the App World which will be handling the licesning mechanism through Blackberry world?

Retired
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Licensing Model for BB10 apps in AppWorld

Correct. In BB 10 it is not possible for a user to backup the app package and copy it to another device. Hence, there is no chance of your app executable getting leaked from a user and then someone else side loading it on their device. It is protected in that way and hence dynamic licensing is not really required..

But if you want to have added protection, you can always do that within your app but you will have to manage your own licensing model in that case.

Shadid

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Licensing Model for BB10 apps in AppWorld

[ Edited ]

Shaque,

Thanks a lot!

So, it also means that apps need to take care of licensing if they are published on markets other than BlackBerry world? Or, now they cannot be published on other markets?

Thanks!