Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: iphone4
My Carrier: AT&T

Looking to build an application to manage/administer Windows servers in my network. Any ideas on where to begin?

I'd like to be able to view logs, connect to Powershell, restart servers, accessing file shares all from my device if possible.   Does anyone have any information as to how this could be done?    Built in SSH/Telnet would be neat as well.  This would be behind Mobile Fusion.  Thanks.

Gary

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Looking to build an application to manage/administer Windows servers in my network. Any ideas on where to begin?

Managing Windows servers from non-Windows devices is always tricky. Would it be feasible to build a server-side component (e.g. a web service) that runs on one of your servers to provide some of these functions to your mobile app?

Telnet/SSH is doable. There are a few open-source VNC and RDP libraries out there that could be ported to QNX, if they haven't already been ported. Various SMB libraries are also available, although they all seem to be GLPv3, so you can't sell your app unless you also make it GPLv3.

Make a detailed list of feature you wish to support, then research how each feature offers remote managent API's, and whether the protocol is standard/open. Many will require Windows authentication, which is non-trivial.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor

Re: Looking to build an application to manage/administer Windows servers in my network. Any ideas on where to begin?

Thanks so much. This idea is really just an idea for myself to help me do my job more efficiently when away from the office.  I have a couple of questions I guess to see if what I have in mind I sense makes sense.  I have Citrix Receiver but it doesn't make sense to me to connect externally to Citrix to serve up apps instead of launching them directly from the device that's connected internally.

1) is there pass thru authentication available from Mobile Fusion to a BB10 device?

2). Would it honestly be easier just to RDP to an internal server from an RDP app on the work perimeter than to build functionality on an app even though it wouldn't be as efficient?

3) do you know if its possible to offer file shares served up to users on a BB10 device behind mobile fusion?

New Contributor

And yes, I think using an existing web service would be easier.  I know Powershell runs as a web service so it would be great to connect that call that if possible.  I'm learning from stage 1 so I may be dreaming too big.  Do you have some similar code samples possibly performing some enterprise functionality such as this?  Or do you know of any functions of what people are using their devices inside the enterprise to do?

Developer
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

Maybe you should havea look at some of the cascades samples from GitHub and get a feel for web access on BB10?

There are several that demo HTTP access. Pretty much everything from pulling down a web page, to Json parsing, to SOAP/XML  is there.

Developer

I'm sure some of the required functionality (such as RDP/VNC and Telnet/SSH) will be available in other apps.

Consider starting with a single-function app. That's certainly a better way to learn, and arguably a better way to build apps.

For instance, you might try an app that checks whether your servers are "up" by pinging them.

Or an app that restarts a server.

Or an app that shows a list of predefines scripts/batch files and allows them to run on the server.

Make sure you use some form of authentication & encryption (ssl, https) though.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer

1) is there pass thru authentication available from Mobile Fusion to a BB10 device?

I don't know, and if there is, I doubt whether there is an API that apps can take advantage of.

2). Would it honestly be easier just to RDP to an internal server from an RDP app on the work perimeter than to build functionality on an app even though it wouldn't be as efficient?

Easier to develop, probablly, because VNC, RDP, Telnet, SSH apps & libs are already available. Perhaps one of the BB10 remote clients will allow integration via the Invoke Framework, or offer their services as a card. Then you wouldn't even need to concern yourself with the details.

Easier to use? That depends on your skills as an app developer...

To be honest, I think the scope of your project is a bit too big for a novice app developer, especially if you don't already know the intimate details of the protocols/services you wish to connect to.

3) do you know if its possible to offer file shares served up to users on a BB10 device behind mobile fusion?

There have been rumours of a "Work drives" feature built into BB10, though no details have been announced yet. I suspect it is the ability to access SMB shares. How well that works over VPN, and whether there will be API's for app devs, remains to be seen.