Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Manual app installation / auto installation on event

Hi

I am planning to develop a business application for blackberry 10, which is designed only for our customers and must not be found in the app world.

Is there any way to sign an application offline by blackberry and install it manually by our customer? Is it also possible to run an installation automatically on an event, like SD Card inserted?

Thanks, regards

cloooned

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Manual app installation / auto installation on event

cloooned wrote:
I am planning to develop a business application for blackberry 10, which is designed only for our customers and must not be found in the app world.

Is there any way to sign an application offline by blackberry and install it manually by our customer? Is it also possible to run an installation automatically on an event, like SD Card inserted?

1. Signing "offline"? No, definitely not.

2. Installed manually? Yes, provided it's signed (using the usual signing tools) and installed via one of the several ways of doing "sideloading". You should be able to Google for the options there, including DDPB Installer or a Chrome plugin called App Manager, and another option (used by most developers) is the tools in the SDKs. (Specifically there's a command line utility called blackberry-deploy which can do the job, but needs to be installed on the PC that will do the installation.)

3. Install on an event?  No, there's no way to install without using a remote PC on the same subnet, so unless it's a BlackBerry World install you can't install "offline" in any fashion like that.

If you truly need these facilities, you should get in touch with BlackBerry to explore whether there are other possibilities for special cases, or at least consider filing a Feature Request in the developer issue tracker.  Yoiu can find the link at the bottom of http://developer.blackberry.com .

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!