Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Momentics 10.2 debugger does not work

After many install issues, as per other logs, I eventually have an momentics 10.2 install.

Others had this same problem but I could not find any indication of a solution.

I can run on a device but I cannot debug on a device - it simply never returns to my app. Now 10.1 takes along time to intiate the application so I did wait quite awhile.

I still use 10.1 on another PC with none of these issues. Does anyone know if I can compile 10.2 OS with momentics 10.1. I don't want to try it. All I need now is to clobber the momentics version that actually works for me.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Momentics 10.2 debugger does not work

Mac or PC?

Version of OS you are running Momentics on?

Verison of OS you are running on phone.

What have you tried so far?

Any console messages either before or after clicking on run/debug?

Any indication app is stuck in a loop or crashing?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

Last attempt was in a 32bit windows 7 VM with lots of RAM and disk space. I totally gave up on compiling for os 10.1 and went back to my PC with 10.1 to get some work done - 10.2 constantly tried to re-install files, and debug was unreliable so I just gave up and tried to work with the momentics 10.2 with 10.2 os.

This is a working app that I tried a first compile on 10.2, so program works ok. I believe debugger worked once but not since. Tried a couple of options in preferences but they made no difference.

As far as I can see there are no messages, no indication of what is run, it just never gets to loading my application.

Had a few issues using 10.1 for the first time but had some clues as to problems (i.e. messages) and was able to resolve them. With 10.2 I don't have a clue what the issue is.

I did a clean and build to remove any references to 10.1 libraries or routines but I don't know that worked.

Developer

What do you mean by not working and unreliable? I have never had any significant problems with debugging itself.

When you look on the phone is your app actually present?

I find it hard to believe you get no error messages when you click on run/debug.

Is the green light on next to the device in the Active Device menu?

Does Link work?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer

It starts the debugger and hangs there - this was reported in another post. The device screen is black.

Unreliable means without any changes it works one time and not the next - that was with 10.1OS, with10.1 and 10.2 sdks installed. Doesn't works means it hasn't got to the unreliable stage yet - that is with 10.2 sdk only. In summary, it does not "work" like the momentics 10.1 version does and which I use every day.

Because it just hangs in the initialization without any messages I don't know what the problem is and I could not find any documentation that tells me how to debug the debugger.

I also couldn't find an explanation as to why it kept prompting me to download the same files without telling me what those files were for.

Developer

The device screen being blank usually indicates your app is in a loop and/or hasn't successfully loaded the initial QML file properly, not that the debugger has hung.

Have you downloaded one of the sample apps and tried one of those to see if any app works?

Developer

My app works fine and is not the problem. I copied a working app to Mom-10.2 where the debugger didn't work and  then  I copied the application back to 10.1 where the debugger works and continued testing there. (Well, actually I didn't as I had to put aside the 10.2 OS testing unti; this issue is resolved)

Besides if the app runs on the device and loads the QML properly and executes properly why when I load with the debugger would it suddenly stop loading the QML file and go into a loop before it it even hits the main entry point of my app.

I don't know about 10.2 but in 10.1 the debugger stops and I have to press resume for it start executing my app, and that always happens it never starts executing on its own. Why in 10.2 would it suddenly start executing the app and not behave the same way. Is there not always an initial breakpoint at the start of the app - there is 10.1

Developer

Yes it will always stop at the beginning of the app, at least it always has for me on every version of Momentics so far right up to latest one (I'm currently using).

There were some changes between 10.1 and the 10.2 debugger which slowed down the time it takes to get to that first breakpoint but improved stability, if I recall correctly.

Are you running on a fairly powerful machine with a fair amount of memory free?

Developer

There's always a chance (albeit small) that the linker options defined for a debug build will affect the startup or performance of your code.

So I'll ask again, have you tried to debug one of the samples and do you get the same result as with your own app?

Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

I have had this problem for months, and nobody has been able to help me. I can usually debug a very basic Hello World app on my Z10 (but not always) but anything more complicated simply will not work. I get the splash screen... and then nothing. I can Run the app fine on the device from Momentics, but not Debug. Both Run AND Debug work fine on the simulator.

I thought perhaps it was because my development laptop only had 4GB of RAM, but I just upgraded to one with 16GB and there was no change. Interestingly, I am evaluating QtCreator right now as a replacement IDE for Momentics, and I am seeing the same issue there, so most likely it is something to do with the OS on the device, and not Momentics itself. Every device OS update I hope it will work now but it doesn't.

What is strange is that back in March when I was running BB10.0 both in Momentics and on my Z10 I WAS able to debug on the device.

bb10H36 wrote:

After many install issues, as per other logs, I eventually have an momentics 10.2 install.

Others had this same problem but I could not find any indication of a solution.

I can run on a device but I cannot debug on a device - it simply never returns to my app. Now 10.1 takes along time to intiate the application so I did wait quite awhile.

I still use 10.1 on another PC with none of these issues. Does anyone know if I can compile 10.2 OS with momentics 10.1. I don't want to try it. All I need now is to clobber the momentics version that actually works for me.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.