Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch

More details about the BB QNX platform?

Hello,

I am thinking to port some larger existing X11 software to the PlayBook. The software is however quite tightly integrated with the X server and needs several X libraries to work ( Xaw, Xmn, Xt, Xpm, Xext , ICE + libjpeg on the side )

PlayBook on the other hand appears pretty closed . I don't even know what type of X server does it use, if any ( in the QNX6 days, I remember it was using XFree86 4.3, is that still the case on the PlayBook? )

How can I have a terminal running there to take a look around the system? How can I install libraries? Can I? Or do I have to compile everything statically? I mean I know there are a few libraries already ported, like Qt, iconv or bzip, but the ons I need were not.

And - by saying that library 'iconv' is ported, do you mean that it is installed on the PlayBook, will be installed in the final version, or will never be installed and we have to compile statically?

Basically I am looking for some more in-depth info about the BB QNX version. So far all I've seen were some code dumps with no tutorials or explanations whatsoever...

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: More details about the BB QNX platform?

Hi,

Currently you must bundle any libraries your application wishes to use with your application if they are not included with the PlayBook OS, these will only be available for use from the application they are bundled with. You can see which libraries are currently supported by looking into the API documentation:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/reference

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: More details about the BB QNX platform?

Hi,
There is no X11 support on the PlayBook. I imagine you may be able to do your own port to run it on top of the native screen windowing system. I am not sure if you will run afoul of any permissions issues in doing so. A fun project, no doubt!

If you have the NDK, you can access a shell on the device via SSH.

As Garett has indicated, you may bundle additional libraries with your application if they are not already present in the base OS install. You do not need to statically link. The library path will pick them up at runtime.

Cheers,
Sean