Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

My Dev Alpha keeps getting bricked

Since upgradeing to release 6 of the SDK I've been having a lot of trouble with my dev alpha.

When I first installed release 6 of the firmware, upon restart, the device got stuck at the startup screen forever. I had to do a "Repair" operation.

Once I got it up and running, I ran my app and received a strange error:

ldd:FATAL: Could not load library libbb.so.0

A few seconds later, the screen on my dev alpha went black. I tried to start it again, but the startup screen again played forever. I tried restarting it again, and the same outcome occurred.

I did another repair, and fortunately this time I was able to run my app ok.

I sat down today to do some new development for the first time in a couple of weeks. At first things seemed to be working ok, but after about 30 minutes of development I tried to launch a debug session from the IDE. (as opposed to Run)

I got an error in the IDE about not being able to attach to the PID, or something to that affect. I tried a second time, and whamo, the screen goes black again.

I rebooted the device and the startup screen is playing forever again.

Ughhhh...

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: My Dev Alpha keeps getting bricked

Check what version of the OS it says it has installed now.

If your app actually ran, without your having changed it since you got the libbb.so.0 error, then I believe your Dev Alpha has reverted to the previous version of the OS (10.0.4).

The 10.0.6 build has no libbb.so.0 as that's been bumped up to libbb.so.1 or something. (Or was it split up? I can never remember.)

Might explain a few things... not why it's so flaky though.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

Hi Peter,

That funny error hasn't reared its head since my original installation of version 6, so it's probably no longer in play.

I do definitely have version 6 installed now.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Did you since then rebuild your app using the new SDK as well? That would probably explain why that particular error went away. If not, then I've made some erroneous conclusions.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

The very first time deploying to version 6 firmware I was using version 6 of the SDK, although perhaps there's some chance that when I hit "Run" it didn't actually re-compile and used a version 4 build?!

Anyway, I've been using the version 6 SDK since it was released, so these recent cases of my device being bricked are definitely involving version 6 SDK and version 6 firmware.

Developer
My Device: bb10 dev alpha
My Carrier: airtel

i am also facing the problem,after i updated to latest update its not getting on.

while conecting to pc only led blinks an the device donot get on.

please help.

thankyou

Developer
My Device: Z10

Try this:

1. Start your BB Desktop Manager.
  2. Hold down 'volume+' + 'volume-' + 'power' buttons to force hard reset (hold down 10+ seconds!!!!).
  3. Çonnect your device to USB.
  4. Follow instructions on screen to update.

Try these few times (I did 5 times).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Developer
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Verizon

I'm having alpha issues as well.  I really don't know what to do.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Testing-and-Deployment/BB10-Alpha-locked-out-after-update/td-...

I haven't been able to code much since this has happened and no one is able to help.

I'm just shocked that so many people are having so many issues with the update.

Updated my pin
New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

This happened to me but I tried repairing it and re-installing the latest SDK and by about the 5th time it magically worked!  Persistence pays off Smiley Happy

New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

I tried about 5 times before I got mine to work...it's still obviously has bugs but once you have it working it's not too bad at all.