Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

My Device: BlackBerry Dev Alpha B

Permissions and some confusions with them

Lately I've seen many apps in BlackBerry World with bad ratings due to permissions they require to work properly.  We all know that BlackBerry users are particularly sensetive about their privacy and security (well, they still cry for WhatsApp and Instagram, not very privacy friendly apps). In the first version of my app I requested several permissions, camera, BBM, internet access and shared files access. But then I tried to remove most permission requests, leaving only shared files access. What I found strange is that even if I didn't request camera access permission I still can take a photo from the file picker card. I removed BBM permission, but I still can see it in the list of options to share the image. So, my question would be how these permissions work, do I need to request them only if I use them directly in my code or if an app use them in general? Thanks

My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Permissions and some confusions with them

if you invoke another app, like the file picker card, you don't need to have the permission yourself i think.
share is similar, it is an OS function which has all the permissions it needs.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter