Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Please help, New Developer here with app issue

Yeah, I've tried to set up the simulator on my computer, but my CPU isn't compatible to run VMware so that option is out. I hate to downgrade my current Z10 to a 10.0 OS, but it looks like that is my only choice to get proper testing done.

Of course, the users who are having issues running my app are not familiar with sideloading an application for testing, or else I'd just shoot them beta .bar files for them to test out and see if htey would work.
Contributor

I did just try and downloaded the oldest 10.0 SDK i could find. I rebuilt the application with that SDK and cleaned up any files/assets in my tree that weren't being used. When I rebuilt the application and launched on my Z10 (with 10.1), i noticed the app worked fine, but the icons I had used for each sheet were now the stock "gear" or default icon.

Then I loaded up the 10.1 SDK and rebuilt the app and didn't change anything. Reloaded on my Z10 (with 10.1) and loaded fine. Now the icons i want to use are showing.

Could it possibly be that I wasn't building the 10.0 version correctly in the IDE?
Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10 & Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

There is another option besides sideloading. In your Vendor Portal you can add users to your developer sandbox so they can download updates that are still in draft mode directly from blackberry world. Check this documentation at the link below under the heading "Testing in the BlackBerry World sandbox"

https://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/documentation/device_platform/paymentservice/testing.html

That should help you set up sandbox accounts and provide the steps for your testers.
Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Contributor

Wow, this is great news to hear! I'm very excited to try this out! Thank you!
Contributor

So to use the Sandbox, all I do is add the customer's Blackberry ID email address in my Sandbox on the portal.  Then upload my new app as a draft (don't submit for review). 

Then that user will enter development mode on their device, open BBW, Swipe from the top and go to settings > Development mode, then enter the SKU of my app, and then they can download the draft?

It will look like they are paying for it, but in all reality, they aren't actually paying for it, correct?

Developer

Yes that is correct.
Playbook Apps:

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Contributor

Ok, I went in to test myself.  For the record, the last approved release of my app in BBW was 2.0.0.26. 

I added a draft for 2.0.1.1.  Then I added my Blackberry ID to my sandbox.  I went to BBW, Settings, Development mode, entered in my SKU.  It pulls up my app, but only shows the version available is 2.0.0.26.  Should it show 2.0.1.1. for me to download via the sandbox?  Or do I have to wait for it to clear the cache of BBW hence wait a few hours?

Developer

It can take some time for it to show the new release. Not sure of the exact amount of time.
Playbook Apps:

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Contributor

Well, I had re-built the application using the oldest SDK for 10.0 I could find.  Re-packaged and submitted to AppWorld.  It finally got approval and is up for download on BBW.  I've gotten one support email already that its not working.

I think what is most frustrating about this is that the US carriers still haven't pushed OS 10.1 which is causing 99% of my problems here.  The next most frustrating, is that my computer is older to the extent that I can't get VMware downloaded to install a 10.0 OS simulator to actually test the application.  I have a 10.1 Z10 device to test on and am having no issues.

I guess the only thing left to do is to try and pull my download for 10.0 OS users until 10.1 becomes official?  I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix the issue in the long run for my customers and cannot keep taking on the horrible reviews and countless support emails I'm getting.

Does anyone have any more advice?  Thank you in advance!

Developer

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. I was having problems with my app at one point on os less than 10.1 and I just decided to make it only available for 10.1. I still get quite a lot of exposure and downloads. It's something you needed to decide for yourself but I don't think you ned to feel like it's going to mean your app won't get downloaded.

Just my 2 cents.
Playbook Apps:

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink