Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

Porting/Using other platform SDKs to make an ARDrone App

I was wondering how  much effort it would be to use the sdk provided by parrot to make a playbook app to control the Parrot ARDrone with the PlayBook. ( https://projects.ardrone.org/ ) One thing that might prevent this in general is the inability to connect to adhoc networks with the playbook. If RIM decided to allow this would you think it's possible to write an application using this sdk?

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Re: Porting/Using other platform SDKs to make an ARDrone App

[ Edited ]

Well, I looked at parrot website and saw this. So I think it's possible to develop simple app for plabook if since they're using C++ in their API.

Connection mode The 1.7.4 update for the AR.Drone allows you to change the connection mode between your phone and the AR.Drone by switching from ad-hoc mode to access-point mode.
    • Before the 1.7.4 update, the AR.Drone is in ad-hoc mode. When the 1.7.4 update (or a later version) is installed, the AR.Drone automatically switches to access-point mode. Only access-point mode will allow you to use the AR.Drone with an Android device. However, you can use the AR.Drone with your iPhone regardless of the mode.

• You have the option of switching from ad-hoc mode to access-point mode and vice versa. To do so, press and hold the Unpair button for 5 seconds. The flashing motor LEDs indicate that a mode switch has taken place. The LEDs flash red when access-point mode is switched to ad-hoc mode. The LEDs flash green when ad-hoc mode is switched to access-point mode.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900, DevAlpha A
My Carrier: Vodafone DE

Just received my drone. Sure enough i can pair my pb with the network of the drone. The code they provide in the sdk is pretty much natic c. I will look into this a bit and try to come up with a small app for it. Haven't done any nativ stuff yet ever though. 

Willy R.
-
If my post solved your problem, make it easier for others to find by Accepting it as a solution or provide a Kudo if it was helpful for you. Thanks.
New Developer
My Device: shravan.pottala@gmail.com
My Carrier: Airtel

Can we port symbian,c++ applications to BB ?
My Device: playbook 2.0
My Carrier: Bell

Any update to this thread? I am very interested in the ar drone, but very much like my playbook.  I really hope some genius can figure out how to bridge the gap that parrot didn't!

Developer

Here is Qt based app http://projects.developer.nokia.com/ardrone but I think there will be a problem with wifi control.
My Device: playbook 2.0
My Carrier: Bell

thanks much for the fast response, could you please elaborate on the potential issues associated with this?

Developer

Little update. I created little Qt app that acts as AR Drone controller, but I don't own actual AR Drone, so no info whether it will work Smiley Sad

I'll provide bar package to person that owns and has AR Drone in his hands if he want to try it. PM or mail me for details.
Developer

Visitor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: A1

Hey

i'm new here and i just got a Parrot AR.Drone 2.0

i tried to install your .bar with DDPBInstaller everything was looking just fine..but when i start the app allready connected to the drone the app is shuting down immediately

any ideas!?