Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Predictive keyboard input

Is there an API function to turn off 'predictive keyboard input'? I don't believe so as it seems to be system wide setting but decided to ask anyway... Thanks.
Developer
My Device: 9700+PB
My Carrier: sfr

Re: Predictive keyboard input

i do not even know how to turn it off manually...:-(
---------<={##}=>---------
I.Ravelo; Renault S.A.S. Corporate BBOS Java Apps Lead Conceptor/Coder; Qt learner
New Developer
My Device: Playbook, Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

I'm not sure how to turn it on Smiley Happy.  I have a simple app processing keyboard events and when I bring up the keyboard there is no predictive text line.  I am just bringing up the keyboard using swipe up in the corner. I'll see what happens if I use virtualkeyboard_show().

Norm

New Developer

Nope, just tried showing the keyboard and went through every layout.  I cannot seem to get predictive line to show up. But when I launch BGShell the line is there.  If I switch back to my program after the predictive line is visible and bring up the keyboard the predictive line is there.

Actually this brings up another question.  I switched through every layout and none of them have the extra row of numbers that appears when you unlock your pb.  

So now 2 questions.  How do you make the extra line of numbers appear and how do you get predictive text to show up?

Developer

>i do not even know how to turn it off manually...:-(

You are kidding right? -)))

npross, is a widget that is active at the moment you bring VK up capable of text input?

New Developer

I am prcesssing the keyboard input myself. So i guess the answer is no. How do i act like a text widget? I've noticed that if i start my app and my bluetooth keyboard is in standby i cannot type text until i switch to an app that has a "real" text widget type a character and then switch back. 

Since it works for Qt i was going to scan the plugin code and see what magic i am missing. 

Highlighted
Developer

BGshell does not handle 'predictive keyboard' in any way as I just don't know how to do it.

All I know is you can turn off (and apparently on) predictive keyboard system wide in Playbook settings - what I recommend to BGshell users -)

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi.

I reviewed the current NDK APIs and I do not believe predictive keyboard input is controllable via the APIs at this time.  For those responders that indicated that they do not see the new keyboard with their apps, are you using the latest SDKs?  It is possible that you are seeing older capabilities because you are still building with older SDKs.