Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Limited Edition Z10 & Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Accepted Solution

Problem with app after upgrading OS to 10.1

Hi,

I currently have an app in App World that users are reporting is no longer working after they've upgraded to 10.1 on their Z10 device.  I developed the app using 10.1.0.1020 I believe ( sometimes, hard to keep track with all the SDKs in the IDE ) and it worked fine on my LE Z10 before updating to 10.1 and it is not.  Also, I was working fine on my Dev Alpha C while developing it, but I just tried the version in App World and it no longer works properly.  Weird thing is when I run it from the debugger it works fine.  Anyone have any ideas?

When I say not working what I mean is, none of the images are showing up, and my ListView does not show up.  These missing elements cause the app to unusable.

I am using the asset selector available in 10.1 to provide a different set of images and qml on the Q10 and also keyboard shortcuts for the Q10.  The Z10 does not use anything specific from 10.1.

I set my required platform to 10.0.10 in the bar-descriptor, and minimum OS in App World to match.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might be missing or doing wrong?  And also, why it works properly while running from IDE but not once downloaded from App World?  If you need more info from me, just ask and I will answer.

Thanks

Playbook Apps:
Touch Painter, LinkShrink

BB10 Apps:
NoteToSelf , LinkShrink
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Problem with app after upgrading OS to 10.1

maybe a stale assets.index file is the reason?
We got a mail from BBRY about it with "action required", here is the text:

Dear Vendor,

You are receiving this message because you have BlackBerry® 10 applications that were built upon Native SDK 10.1 and packaged with stale assets.index files.

Description of the Issue

In BlackBerry Native SDK 10.1, all assets included within the BAR are indexed by the assets.index file. If afterwards, you switch to Native SDK 10.0 as the target build and add or remove assets to the application, the assets.index file won’t be updated because it is not recognized. So when the app is loaded on a BlackBerry v10.1 device, the assets.index file won’t match the actual assets (e.g. images, QML files, audio and other resources) that are present your app. This can cause unexpected behavior such as a crash.

Resolution

Either delete your assets.index file when packaging for Native SDK 10.0, or ensure that it properly lists all the assets used by your app.

Once you have made the required updates, please login to the BlackBerry World Vendor Portal (https://appworld.blackberry.com/isvportal) and submit a new release of your application.

Happy Development,
BlackBerry World Team
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

any solution??

Developer

sorry to bump this, but does anyone know where the asset.index file is? I looked through my project file and can't find anything by that name.

I too received the "stale asset.index..." email that was listed above.

thanks,

-Ali

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

it should be in your assets folder. it is automatically created when you compile with 10.1
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Thank you!!! 

I never saw the file while I was in momentics so I thought it didn't exist. Finally opened the project file in explorer and there it was!

Thanks again,

-Ali

New Contributor
My Device: Z30
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I got the same issue today. Thanks a lot for sharing this info!