Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Programmatically Save Screen

Hi All,

Using Cascades to develop an app, is there a way in which I can save a screen shot of my app as a jpeg using code - i.e. user presses a button and the screen is saved? 

Many thanks for looking

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Programmatically Save Screen

You cannot take full screenshots programmatically.  This may come in the future.

Today, you can use screen_read_window() to read the contents of one of your own app's native windows:

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/beta/reference/screen_libref/topic/screen_read_window.html

However, you would first need a handle to the libscreen window that cascades is rendering into, which I don't think you can easily retrieve.  There may be a way to do it by querying SCREEN_PROPERTY_WINDOW_COUNT and SCREEN_PROPERTY_WINDOWS from your screen context, but I am not sure if you need a handle to Cascades' screen context, or if you can just create a new one.

I really should experiment with this some time.

sorry for getting overly wordy.. the short answer is NO, with a more complicated answer of MAYBE.

Cheers,

Sean

Developer
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Programmatically Save Screen

Thanks for your reply Sean - looks like I have a lot of reading to do!

Another alternative I was looking at was to possibly create a bitmap and draw text and graphics onto that instead (in effect replicating the screen).