Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Visitor
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Developer

Programmatically adjust screen brightness?

[ Edited ]

Is it possible? If so please provide a working example.

I have come across this function which can use the SCREEN_PROPERTY_BRIGHTNESS to apparently change a windows brightness. However, I have had no success using this as there are no noticeable differences.

See these posts bb-forums1 and bb-forums2 for two other people who have had a similar issue (posted on the BlackBerry Support Forums).

According to one user, the SCREEN_PROPERTY_BRIGHTNESS property does not work. Can anyone verify that or provide an alternative solution?

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Programmatically adjust screen brightness?

I'll make an educated guess that the property you're seeing is leftover documentation from other environments in which the screen brightness can be controlled that way.

In BlackBerry 10, I suspect, third-party developers have no ability to control the brightness, either through that property or any other.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: dev alpha c
My Carrier: 650946391

I'm trying to findout a way to change the screen brightness programmatically but It seens that It's not possible.

In the doc:

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/core/com.qnx.doc.screen.lib_ref/topic/manual/scree...

Full read/write access to Screen API object properties is system dependent.

As de doc says, It's possible to get the value but not set the value.

Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

This is correct, we're currently unable to adjust the screen brightness... I wrote up a fancy little auto-brightness app that well doesn't do the adjusting part =(