Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook + Red Z10 + BB10 Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: none

QCanvas

Will there be QCanvas support at some point? I know this has been asked before, but that just shows how important this is. In my opinion, it is the most dearly missed feature in the current version of Cascades. For my chess app (www.chess-wise.com) I have either been able to find work-arounds for missing classes, or have decided to leave features out in the BB 10 version. But without QCanvas, I fear that there will not even be a releasable version of Chess-wise.

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: QCanvas

Nice app.

Please like:  https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-1

Each "like" stresses the importance of the feature.

I assume you've considered just using a container with a background image and icons you move.  And also considered ForeignWindow and OpenGL.

Stuart

Developer

Thanks. I have the basics of the app working in the simulator (game play, save/load game, download databases from a  repository).

Using a static background image for the board is not an option, because the board contains extra information (coordinates, legal move indication, last played move indication, arrows indicating a choice between two moves) that needs to be drawn at run-time.

OpenGL is much too low-level. It doesn't make sense that all BB10 developers have to re-implement things like bezier paths.

Retired

Don't forget to vote for the issue.

Stuart

Developer

I would like to, but get the following error:

Permission Violation

You cannot view this issue because you are not the issue reporter or assignee, a member of the project group, or a member of the issue group and this issue is closed or in triage.

Retired

Sorry, I misread the permissions on the issue in Issue Tracker.

It should be available now -- if you still have issues getting it, let me know!

Stuart