Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE

Re: QT 4.8.4 (yes 4.8.4) Build Posting

Is there anything special to that build? Do I need to set it up somehow. MOC does not work and if I replace it with those from BB10 or the older Qt precompiled binaries I get all kind of errors. And also need to put it in qt_build for Qt Creator to recognize it.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

I am not sure how you are using the builds, so I will tell you exactly what I do.

I have BBNDK 10.0.9 installed in d:\dev_tools\bbndk_10.0.9

I unzip the newly built QT libraries into D:\dev_tools\QT_SDK_4_8_4 (so under that is an "ARM" and an "x86" directory for the device and the simulator)

I run the following script

set TARGET_DEV_DIR=D:\Dev_Tools
set BBNDK_DIR=bbndk_10.0.9
set QT_DIR=SDK_4_8_4
set TARGET_SUBDIR=target_10_0_9_386
robocopy  /mir "%TARGET_DEV_DIR%\Qt_%QT_DIR%\ARM\qt4\include" "%TARGET_DEV_DIR%\%BBNDK_DIR%\%TARGET_SUBDIR%\qnx6\usr\include\qt4" /xf qconfig.h
rmdir /s %TARGET_DEV_DIR%\%BBNDK_DIR%\%TARGET_SUBDIR%\qnx6\x86\usr\lib\qt4
rmdir /s %TARGET_DEV_DIR%\%BBNDK_DIR%\%TARGET_SUBDIR%\qnx6\armle-v7\usr\lib\qt4 
mklink /J %TARGET_DEV_DIR%\%BBNDK_DIR%\%TARGET_SUBDIR%\qnx6\x86\usr\lib\qt4 %TARGET_DEV_DIR%\Qt_%QT_DIR%\x86\qt4
mklink /J %TARGET_DEV_DIR%\%BBNDK_DIR%\%TARGET_SUBDIR%\qnx6\armle-v7\usr\lib\qt4 %TARGET_DEV_DIR%\Qt_%QT_DIR%\ARM\qt4

This will copy the include files except qconfig.h in two locations  (This solved a different problem)

and creates links to the libs directory (no need to have then stored in two different places).

I then "clean all" on any project.  From that point forward the BBNDK will be using the new libraries and include files.

Let me know if this helps.

Bryan

Developer

Thanks! I'll check that tomorrow!

Developer

Do you compile Qt with QCC from the BB10 NDK? Is it compatible with the Playbook OS 2.1 or is it just for the BB10 device and simulator?

Developer

I compiled it with QCC from BBNDK 10.0.6 and currently I use them with BBNDK 10.0.9.  BUT, I see no reason that it should not work with 2.1. 

You can also try this (which I have been doing lately).  Don't change anything from the install of the BBNDK, but in the bar-descriptor.xml add the libraries you want from the directory where you put the libs I compiled.  For example I have lines like this

<asset path="D:\Dev_Tools\QT_SDK_4_8_3\ARM\qt4\lib\libQtCore.so.4"> lib\libQtCore.so.4</asset>

See if that helps.

Bryan

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

I haven't tested them yet, but I think there will be some problems with missing/incorrect system libs (libqnx libbps etc etc). PB 2.1 and BB10 10.0.9 use different system libs and both ndk compile and link with dofferent lib versions.

Correct me if I'm wrong Smiley Happy

Developer

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback. I've just read in the wiki that Qt 4.8.4 is not supported on PB2.1 just on BB10.

That basically solves the problem. Smiley Happy

Developer

Well, I have 4.8.4 working just fine on the PB.  The only problem they have is that the changes the way they calculate DPI and it's making text WAY too big.  I opened a bug report since we will see.  This problem also effects the BB10sim.

So for now I am sticking with 4.8.3 final.  Also on my box account.

Developer

Well, this:
"Please note that 4.8.3 is the last Qt version supporting PlayBook OS 2.x. Qt 4.8.4 and later and Qt5 are supported on BlackBerry 10."
is from: http://qt-project.org/wiki/QNX

OS 2.1 is a dead end now. It has just a few more months left I guess.

I wonder if it is still possible to set up the compiler from bb10 ndk to compile reliably for the OS 2.1 or it is about time for me to stop wasting time trying to setup, use what's available and do something productive already. (And hope that there will be quality official support soon for the PB).

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE
My Carrier: tnl

Certainly develop a 2.1 harder than under 10.
And my QT applications are too large.
But why do you think that there is no future in 2.1?