Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Sprint
Accepted Solution

Qt WebKit?

Is supporting Qt WebKit planned, or is there a way to use existing Qt code expecting WebKit against the PlayBook Qt port?

The provided configure script includes -no-webkit however changing that to -webkit leaves it disabled, leading me to believe that either it's not done yet or there's an alternate approach that we should be taking (and which is as of yet undocumented).

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! Smiley Very Happy
BlackBerry Employee
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: NA

Re: Qt WebKit?

There are currently no plans to support Qt WebKit. We may integrate the playbook's webkit implementation or provide an API to consume it, but it is as of yet unplanned.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A

Thanks for the reply. Being able to use Qt WebKit (or easily using the native WebKit instead) would be awesome for helping port to the BlackBerry. It's almost amazing how many things use WebKit for incidental things here and there. :/

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! Smiley Very Happy
Developer
My Device: Passport / Q10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Well, the existing QtWebKit can be used with the PB, but there are some dependancies that break building it.  I was able to get it to build and work properly as a basic browser application.  Here are some screenshots of it in action, pretty basic web browsing at this point but it does show that the QtWebKit engine works on the PB and can be built with some massaging of the build environment.

If there's a desire from the community I can post my skeleton app up and you can use that as a basis for getting QtWebKit running.  Also I can post up the modifications that need to be made to the build environment to get the QtWebKit into the Qt build for PB.

Also, I noticed that once the page is loaded and rendered, the QtWebKit engine is FAST.  No checkerboarding at all that I can see!

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Both would be helpful.
Now before people get too excited about building a browser for the PB, I doubt RIM will approve it as a standalone browser. But they should have no problems if it is embedded in your app for support purposes (online help, OAuth interface, etc.).
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

It would be interesting if you can post some benchmarks and acid tests between QtWebKit and PB Browser (if you have time).
Developer

[ Edited ]

Well, the Javascript JIT system doesn't work with the JIT, so that slows down scores considerably.  When I said it was fast, I really meant how the scrolling of a webpage, not the javascript speed really.  Sunspider was in 7K range. Smiley Sad

If anyone here wants to get started with playing with QtWebKit I'm attaching a diff patch file to this post you can apply to the Qt system from RIM's GIT repo.  Eventually I'll get a web page post together for it with a nice script to determine the path depth when patching, but this will get the people going that want to give it a shot.

Developer

[ Edited ]

Also, if anyone wants to see it in action, here's a mostly functional port of a browser made in Qt called Arora:

http://www.mediafire.com/?w3fg93ws3g0uazq

Be patient, it takes a few seconds to load from a black screen.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9930 & PlayBook

I grabbed Qt from Qt's github (reads as 4.8.1) and webkit builds fine without any patches. However when I run a simple app with a webview it just crashes. What kind of changes to the pro file do I need to make? I already have:

QT += webkit
QT += network

I copied over all of the Qt libs to deploy/lib (so libQtWebKit.so.4 is already there).

Thanks

Nic

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

HaTax,

Can I download your basic Browser with QtWebKit in PB?