Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

My Device: Blackberry Z10
My Carrier: Verizon

Questions about swapping Page, NavigationPane objects out of Tab objects and the general lifecycle of these objects and their corresponding QmlDocuments

Hey guys,

I've been developing for Blackberry for a few weeks, so I'm still pretty new at it. I'm coming from a background of a about a year of Android dev experience if that helps.

I have some questions regarding if I'm using accepted practices as far as swapping out content on my tabs. According to the design I was given, I have tabs that are selected through the action menu, and I only display the current tab on the action bar. The rest of the bar is filled with action items.

When you click the action items I want to swap out content in the Tab object's area. I'm starting out with some logic like this: 

QString qmlResourcePath = "asset:///layout/meeting_tabs/room_tab/room_page.qml";

QmlDocument * qml = QmlDocument::create(qmlResourcePath);

AbstractPane * oldPane = currentPane;

currentPane = qml->createRootObject<AbstractPane>();

delete oldPane;

Is this an acceptable way of doing this? Is there a better way? Is the QmlDocument object automatically deleted with the pane or do I need to explicilty delete it.

I use AbstractPane because I'm going to need to set both NavigationPane and Page objects as the tab content.