Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB, 32GB, 64GB, Z10
My Carrier: Wind Mobile

Re-target Blackberry Protect as a locator for seniors and children.

Is this the right place to post this?

I have tried Blackberry Protect on the Z10. It works very well in locating the Z10. 

Z10 (BB10 OS) does not require a BIS plan, any wireless Internet connection or WiFi Internet connection will do.

The application I am thinking of is only needed once in a blue moon or very infrequent - to locate a senior or a child who carries a Z10 phone that is set up with the Blackberry Protect.

My questions are:

1) Is this a push application? Meaning there will be no data consumption from polling. Data only consumed when there is a request to track or locate. This is needed to figure out what minimum data plan is required for such an aplication.

2) Will Blackberry Protect work without a data connection? Meaning can it just use the voice channel to do the locating? This would even be greater! Save the data plan.

Perhaps this would be a great feature to have if not already there - sending location via text message to the Blackberry Protect website that converts the coordinates into a map location for display!!!

Thanks.