Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Reporting a possible sock puppet?

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know how to go about getting a possibly bogus forum user booted, or at least reprimanded? Lately I've had first reponses to some of my serious questions in this forum and several others from a very odd character. Not only are the posts totally useless, but they have all the hallmarks of a bot or glory troll. In almost every case he/she jumps in first after a detailed question from the OP with a completely useless "can you elaborate your problem in detail", or something equally insutling to the questioner. Now matter how detailed the OP, this clown offers nothing except a gratuitous request for more. It is almost as though someone is running a chat bot in these forums with just enough AI to post generic first responses to new queries.

I wonder it this individual just likes to see their screen name in a thread, because they haven't contributed a single useful comment, and in fact just distract from the conversations at hand. Initially I responded politely and reiterated the copious details in my original questions, but like a bad stalker he/she just seems to be following everyone round in a half dozen boards, and it is really becoming annoying.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Reporting a possible sock puppet?

Have you tried clicking on the "Report Inappropriate Content" link that's next to each post?

That will bring it to the attention of a moderator. You can collect a few links to other posts of the user and include them so you only have to report one. The mods are generally good about cleaning up this sort of thing.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

I thought of that, but it is a PATTERN of posting I want to report, not any specific one. On their own I doubt the mods would consider any of them "inappropriate" on its own.

peter9477 wrote:
Have you tried clicking on the "Report Inappropriate Content" link that's next to each post?

That will bring it to the attention of a moderator. You can collect a few links to other posts of the user and include them so you only have to report one. The mods are generally good about cleaning up this sort of thing.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I would report and then go the profile and click ignore.   I think mods are usually pretty good at looking at the totality of an individual's activity when reported.   And in the meantime you aren't seeing the person's posts.

- Ira
Developer

greenmr wrote:

I thought of that, but it is a PATTERN of posting I want to report, not any specific one. On their own I doubt the mods would consider any of them "inappropriate" on its own.

The mods are well aware that this sort of thing happens, and can be a pattern. Just point it out. They'll take the appropriate action, which may be deletion of some messages, a warning, or a total ban.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

I don't want to see someone banned if they are honestly just trying to participate, but I have no tolerance for anybody deliberately messing about.

I'll flag a couple of his/her (probably his) posts.

peter9477 wrote:

greenmr wrote:

The mods are well aware that this sort of thing happens, and can be a pattern. Just point it out. They'll take the appropriate action, which may be deletion of some messages, a warning, or a total ban.

Developer

Yep, just trust the mods. They err on the side of caution, sometimes giving mere warnings to people I would have turfed for good. It's their call though... my (our) job to report, their job to judge. Since they presumably have access to things like the IP addresses of the posters (to help judge when someone has set up multiple fake accounts to "like" their own posts, for example), they're better positioned to do that.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

i agree with peter, the mods are doing quite a good job, but are of course reliant on users reporting bots and trolls.

i would suggest that you edit your first post, name calling in public is not a good idea, just in case that somebody is innocent.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Gladly, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what in my original post you think I should change. Are you suggesting I should not have explicitly named the person? PM me if you don't want to describe it in public.

simon_hain wrote:
i agree with peter, the mods are doing quite a good job, but are of course reliant on users reporting bots and trolls.

i would suggest that you edit your first post, name calling in public is not a good idea, just in case that somebody is innocent.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

exactly.
usually you report the posts of a certain user, or you write a PM to a mod.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter