Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Requesting Feedback on Native Documentation

We'd like to hear your feedback on the documentation experience for the Native SDK!  Please take a moment to answer the following questions (you can post or send a forum email):

- Have you used the built-in product help or the Native SDK website (https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/)? Which do you use more regularly?

- Were you able to find what you were looking for? If not, what were you looking for?

- How easy was it to find what you were looking for?

- What types of documentation did you use (developer guides, IDE user's guide, tutorials, recipes, API reference)?

- What did you like? What didn't you like?

- What do you think we can improve?

- How is this compared to other SDKs that you've used?

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: VZN

Re: Requesting Feedback on Native Documentation

Which version may you be referring to? 1.0 or 2.0.
Brandon Clark
The Mind Company | www.themindspot.com

Regular Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: VZN

I do like the ide version when using 1.0.  I seem to be using the 2.0 online documentation more just because I am not sure on the update features of the documentation for the ide version.

Brandon Clark
The Mind Company | www.themindspot.com

My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

We would prefer 2.0, but 1.0 feedback is fine.  If your feedback is for a specific version please state the version you are referring to.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Too much clicking to get to information. The "Adobe" way is a lot more efficient to find things and to see sample code and function definitions.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]
Have you used the built-in product help or the Native SDK website (https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/)? Which do you use more regularly?

I check the built-in help first and use that mostly. If I think there may be incomplete search results in the built-in help, I will go to that website.

Were you able to find what you were looking for? If not, what were you looking for?

I have on a few occasions found the built-in help to be missing items that are in the online help. I am sorry, but I can't remember exactly which items these were at the moment but I believe they were API items.

There seems to be a lack of information on signing. I was trying to renew my debug token, and apparently I entered an incorrect CSK password. It took me hours to find out how to change the password which I found instructions for on the forum for WebWorks or AIR. Then I got an error generated by my device, "error number 8" and there seems to be no formal documentation on that either. I had to find a solution to that in the forum too. I tried exporting a signed release of two different builds for one application without changing the version in the bar-descriptor, and could not complete the export for the later build. I don't believe it's indicated in the built-in help or the online help that the version must be incremented each time you do a signed export. Maybe I missed it?

The built-in help is missing most tutorials that are on the website.

How easy was it to find what you were looking for?

Usually very easy.

What types of documentation did you use (developer guides, IDE user's guide, tutorials, recipes, API reference)?

All of the above.

What did you like? What didn't you like?

The built-in search is pretty fast which is great. I don't like having to search 2-3 sources to find answers on some items, but overall the built-in help has been good to me.

What do you think we can improve?

An automatic help file updater that syncs the built-in help with the website.

How is this compared to other SDKs that you've used?

I think it is great. I've never built apps faster with any other SDK. Great job!

Edit: I am using NDK 1.0, but I haven't tried 2.0 so I don't know if these comments apply.

Scott