Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Sending invocation while not in Foreground/Fullscreen mode

Hello

Is it possible to send an invocation from app which currently is not at Foreground/Full screen?

So far I've tried a lot using Cascades and/or native API calls, and it seems the invocation gets queued and the actual sending occurs as soon as the app goes back at foreground.

Do you have any clues how to do that? If there's no way, I think this is a terrible functional disability of the OS.

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE

Re: Sending invocation while not in Foreground/Fullscreen mode

I checked with Development and this is like that by design.  No way to invoke andother app while in background.  I don't agree with it either and when they make actual background apps working perhaps that will change.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

As noted I don't think it is possible (yet) but I'm curious how you'd plan to use this?
E.g as a user if I'm in the midst of reading my email and *poof* a "share on BBM" sheet comes up (not for the email I'm reading) would be a bit of a jarring experience.

I can see in the case of an alarm app... If a notice pops up "Flight delayed!" That the out of context message would be ok.. but these situations are fairly limited I suspect.

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Thanks JaredCo for doing that, it's good to have our suspicions confirmed.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE

steve_web wrote:
As noted I don't think it is possible (yet) but I'm curious how you'd plan to use this?
E.g as a user if I'm in the midst of reading my email and *poof* a "share on BBM" sheet comes up (not for the email I'm reading) would be a bit of a jarring experience.

I can see in the case of an alarm app... If a notice pops up "Flight delayed!" That the out of context message would be ok.. but these situations are fairly limited I suspect.

I think you have it correct.....there are actually many other examples of apps that the user would be expecting something like that happening and if an app did something annoying I am pretty sure it would be deleted very quickly.   BlackBerry could also take down any apps that people really complained about if they abused this capablility....key is to leave creativitiy to the devs as we know what the users really want  (proof is having apps on BBOS that users already use and want on BB10).   It hasn't been problem on BBOS not sure why we think it would be a problem on BB10.   I get email everyday from users waiting for our BBOS apps to be avaiable....just waiting for the OS to catch up.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Contributor
My Device: Playbook

Thanks JaredCo,steve_web and all for providing the feedback, we'll keep in mind this obstacle for now.

To give you an example having this functionality would be useful in my opinion:

Imagine you have a Skype-like communication app, and you're reviewing your email. At the same time, someone rings/texts you - how your app is going to attract the attention if there is no mechanism to react while in background?

Or, an app that monitors stock symbols, a document being generated/downloaded in background and needs to be opened as soon as complete, etc.

In my view, right now, there are no effective functionality outside the app's main window. I couldn't even implement a screen saver app that should obtain the lock of the display.

Thanks!