Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Showing virtual keyboard while Bluetooth keyboard is connected.

Hello BB NDK Forums,

It seems as though calling virtualkeyboard_show() while a physical keyboard is paired causes the virtual keyboard not to appear. A diagonal swipe from the bottom left does however cause it to appear even with a physical keyboard connected. Is there a way to "force" show virtual keyboard programatically in this situation?

Thanks!

Stephane

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: Showing virtual keyboard while Bluetooth keyboard is connected.

If it's QT app then you might try to send QEvent::RequestSoftwareInputPanel event to your main window.

Developer

Thanks BGMot,

This is a custom NDK app, so no access to QT. We may need to fall back on some user interaction prompting him/her to do the bottom left swipe motion.

Retired
My Device: BB Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Hi,

By design, if a physical keyboard is paired to your device the virtual one will not show by default;

If you would like to change this behaviour, you can log a feature request describing a specific use case;

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Cheers,

Martin

Developer

Hi Martin,

This makes sense design wise. The user can manually for show the KB while a bluetooth KB is connected with a bottom left to center swipe. We've updated our flow to force that process. (this is an unusual use case). I'll log it as a request,.

Thanks!

Stephane

Developer
My Device: bold 9900
My Carrier: Vodacom

Can you please post your code as to how you get the virtual keyboard to appear as I am struggling to do that. I am using javascript with my cascades app and am looking to for a way to show the virtual keyboard from QML/Javascript. You code will assist greatly.