Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Cosmote

Signing bar files using native SDK?

Hi! I'm new to BB development and the whole RIM's deploy system. I have already uploaded a free demo of mine and now I'm trying to have a game accepted.

I recieved an email that my game doesn't even start. When I run the game from inside the eclipse IDE I don't have that problem, but when I export it I have the same problem on my PlayBook on the other hand if I just install the bar file created by the eclipse IDE during running the game and not the one exported there is no problem.

Do I understand correctly that the one exported is signed with a certificate and the other one isn't? If so do I have to get a different certificate for each application and for each version I want to upload on the market?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, q5, z10
My Carrier: TM

Re: Signing bar files using native SDK?

you do not need a kex for every application.

i think the problem is the release build configuration. have you checked if everything is included (right mouse click on your project -> C/C++ Build -> Settings -> you can change the current config with the drop down menu configuration).

if everything is fine with the configuration build the project and check your sigining settings:

Preferences -> Blackberry -> Signing

check the value under: RIM Signing Authority ... should be yes -> else signing is not enabled

check the value under: Developer Certificate ... should be your name and a path

you can find more information here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/com.qnx.doc.native_sdk.quickstart/topic/reques...

New Developer

I went over the signing steps again and have checked that under RIM Signing Authority there is a yes and also for the developer certificate has my name but still cannot run my game after installing it on the PlayBook.

I don't even see the splash screen.

Developer
My Carrier: x

If you are able to install your signed app on your PlayBook and it just does not start I don't think this is 'signing' issue.

Does Export->Release run fine for this app?

Retired
My Device: BB10 alpha-BB10 developer
My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

Hi,

were you able to figure out what was the problem?

As it was mentioned by BGmot, since you were able to deploy your app to the device, it seems to me that this is iikely not an signing issue.

If you still have issues of lanuching this app from your device, can u try to find the log for your app from the device?

we can see if it will give us more clues.

New Developer

Yes the problem was somewhere else. I had to add logging to a file and store the file in shared folders so that I can read it from the PC.

My problem was that when installing the game the app folder becomes read-only while on the other hand when you're debugging on the device the app folder is read-write.

So when I opened a file with fopen with flags r+b it was ok when debugging the game on the tablet even if it was just a release version without debugging info but when signing and installing the game on the tablet the fopen command failed.
Retired
My Device: BB10 alpha-BB10 developer
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi hamlatzis,

according to this KB

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Adobe-AIR-Development/BlackBerry-PlayBook-File-System-Layout/...

The resource files installed together with the app shall be read-only. The application code shall not modify them.

You might want to change your design to modify the copy in the working directory?