Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: vodafone

Simulator problems with Gold 10.2

I have run sample cascade apps and my own cascades app using SDK 10.1 using the simulator with success.

I then upgraded to 10.2 beta and the apps built and ran ok on the simulator most of the time, but sometimes failed during the build process and it took several tries to get it to run successfully.

I have now upgraded to 10.2 GOLD and I cannot get the apps to build and run on the new simulator (BB10_2_OX.1155) at all.
What happens is the simulator (VMWare 5.0.2 build-1031769) powers up ok and I see the blackberry ICON screen. When I then build the app (Simulator-Debug), the device manager shows either:
(1) the simulator is not connected and I get the error message:
"Unable to connect. Ensure USB cable or Wi-Fi is connected, IP address is correct, and development mode is enabled."
or
(2) the simulator starts off connected but during the build process, it disconnects itself and therefore fails to run the app.

The furthest Ive got is the app loads on the simulator but only gets the splash screen or an empty background with no icons.

I have even tried with the basic Hello world app and get the same problem.

I am running on an HP Laptop, 2.1GHz, 4GB RAM, and have over 10GB free disc space

I can run the Hello World app successfully on my Z10 device.

I have tried re-installing both SDK and Simulator, made sure the simulator controller is running each time, tried reconnecting via the Device Manager or the Target Navigator. Sometimes it reconnects temporarily, or it dosent at all.The IP addressis recognised and the simulator is in the default Development Mode.

Any ideas please for what I am doing wrong, or not doing? Thanks.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Simulator problems with Gold 10.2

Are you able to reliably reproduce scenario 2?  If so please reproduce it and from the BlackBerry Native SDK click on the Help menu and choose "Report Native SDK Bug".  Then use the "Simulator Bug Report" application (shortcut found in the start programs folder with the simulator) to submit a bug report from it.

Once they've been submitted reply back here with the two bug report numbers and we'll have a look at the logs.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
New Developer

Hi Mark

I have sent  you a simulator bug report (twice!) There were not bug report numbers that I could see but the report title is named "simulator disconnects during run process"

Thanks

David

New Developer

Hi Mark

Simulator bug report

BBTEN-1620  - error reported on log

BBTEN-1621 - went through ok

Developer
My Device: Blackberry z10
My Carrier: Airtel

Better can can reinstall the simulator and try.. It will work

___________________________________________________________________________________________

*************Plese *********LIKE**** & ****ACCEPT as Solution*** If you got suggestion for your Query.

@RAJESH SVM ----- Blackberry Mobile App Developer, Blaze, India.
Highlighted
New Developer

Hello Rajesh

I have the same problem after reinstalling both SDK and simulator.

I have a problem connecting to simulator in device manager, it kept asking me to try again. When it eventually connected, I would build the hello world app (using 10.1 api) and run it (Device-simulator) but the simulator would disconnect itself after about 10% of the run time.

I have sent another  native bug report to define the problem above

I think the problem is with the SDK 10.2 Gold as I have the same issue when I use either the10.1 or 10.2 simulator

Cheers

David

Hi David,

We'd like to get logs from both the simluator and the BlackBerry Native SDK for scenario two for the same instance.  You uploaded from the simulator bug reporter a couple times but not from the SDK itself (both have different logs).  Please reproduce scenario 2, then upload logs from the simluator (same process you did before) and SDK (using Help Menu -> Report Native SDK Bug).  Thanks!

Mark Sohm

New Developer

Hello Mark

I have replicated the problem with IDE 10.2 Gold , running the hello world app (named djhbees_6.2) on the 10.1.0.4828 simulator. The simulator took several attempts to connect and then when it finally did, and I ran the app, and the simulator disconnected after a few seconds and gave the message "

Deployment Failed: Info: Sending request: INSTALL_AND_LAUNCH
Info: Action: Install and Launch
Info: Debug native: on
Info: File size: 206969
Info: Installing com.example.djhbees_6_2.testDev_djhbees_6_2dc0d918c...
Info: Processing 206969 byte"

This happens whatever app I try to run, and does it with the 10.2 simulator as well.

I have sent the native SDK bug report named "simulator 10.1.0.4828 disconnects during run operation". 

When I tried to find the simulator bug report, I noticed the simulator isnt in the start menu, and the file in c:/bbndk/simulator_10_1_0_4828 did not contain the debug report file.

Just a thought but I am using a dropbox location as my working space, could this be part of the problem as I changed to this just before I had these problems?

I am now loading up simulator 10.2.0.1155 and will send the bug report  to you soon.

Just a note that the simulator seems to load up correctly and reports its IP address ok and the SDK seems to connect to it, albeit briefly...

Also  I can run the hello world app ok on my Z10 device.

Cheers

David

New Developer

Hello Mark

I have just submitted the Native bug report named "simulator 10.2.0.1155 disconnects during run operation"

Simulator bug file not visible.

Cheers

David

Thank you for sending the additional logs.  I have sent them to our development team for further investigation.

Mark Sohm