Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: Koodo

Something wrong with signature on Mac install packages? (OS X 10.8)

I downloaded the Cascades NDK and simulator (the latter *twice*) because OS X gives an unhelpful error message -- "[Application-name] is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the trash."

Via Google, found that some installations of OS X 10.8 seem to display this message instead of a warning about the application not being signed. (See this thread from the growl forums.) Lowering the security setting for applications allowed me to run them.

Not sure what it'd take to at least sign the applications, but it'd be very nice to not have to work around what appear to be corrupt downloads only to find it's a badly worded error message. Sure, it's really Apple's fault... but unfortunately it's RIM's installer applications that look bad first before the true problem is found (if the end user bothers to track down the problem).

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: Something wrong with signature on Mac install packages? (OS X 10.8)

Developer

Looks like it's the same as this bit:

I also had trouble getting the IDE to download and install (beta 2). Each time I tried downloading the file and running the installer it would come back saying the file was corrupt. After trying to download the file multiple times from both Safari and Chrome I got a colleague to download it and that worked first time. It is also worth noting that you may need to disable Gatekeeper in "System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General" to allow the installation to run.

Not sure why searching using the forum search or trying Google failed to bring me to that post.

Once I got everything installed, the simulator was mostly fine with the latest VMware Fusion. (Wish there was VirtualBox support...) Sometimes the settings pages stop displaying anything until I restart it, and I haven't gotten network connectivity working yet. The network thing is of course a separate issue that has been reported elsewhere -- just need to figure out how to make use of the solution from that thread as the description doesn't exactly match what I see in VMware Fusion 4.

Retired
My Device: BB Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Hi there,

Have you made any progress on this front?

Martin

Developer

Hi Martin,

If you're referring to just getting stuff installed, yes, as stated in my first post (somewhat buried in the middle). Obviously I can't sign the installer apps for RIM. Smiley Happy

As for the network connectivity issue, not yet. Too busy a week.

Thanks,

James

Retired
My Device: BB Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Sounds good - let us know when you've had the time to play around a bit!

Martin