Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Tre in sweden
Accepted Solution

Sync with external data

Hi

I'm new on BB, bought an BB Z10 and love it Smiley Happy

Now to my question, I have googled and search here but can't find any answer on how I can make a synchronization on contacts from other places than the built in way (outlook, gmail etc).

I would like to sync member's of a soccer team (today that would be a excel sheet but that will change) but I would like it to be showed same way as Contact's are showed today. You know left side lists All, LinkedIn, Facebook and so on (guess that's Account names)

First can that be done in both Native, Cascade and Java. What would be the best way?

I can use both c/c++ and Java (C# would have been my chose) Smiley Happy

//Fredrik

Developer from Sweden Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: Sync with external data

If you want a list to look like the Contacts app on your BB10 device Cascades would be the way to go. Java is not an option for BB10 by the way. Pure native is more interesting if you want a fully customized UI (like a game or a dj app).

I am a little bit confused about the other part of your question: do you want to add contacts to the user's contact list? Then take a look at Personal Information Management. Synchronisation (in my interpretation) requires a webservice or database to sync with, something that is missing from your story (I think).

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!
New Developer
My Device: BB Z10
My Carrier: Tre in sweden

I have notice that Java are no go, thought of Android way but I will go with Cascade Smiley Happy

I also notice that you can only "filer" cotacts when you are on the contact app, when you dial you se all contacts, would have been cool if you could choose filter in the dial app, perhaps exclude a group and that you need to explicit choose that group to dial (like me that are soccer coatch on my spare time but would like to have easy access to the members/contacts but not always).

So now to the syncing part. Today there are no way to access the members except throug excel excport/import. So ether I would need to make a service that I connect to where I import that excel file or some convert to sqllite.

I will for now stick to a non syncing app, perhaps only store user localy in my app for now. But there are no pure syncing api? only network api like any other OS?

Next step would be to integrate more to BB..

Any thought?

Developer
My Device: Passport (Red Limited Edition)
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

If you want respect from your fellow devs you better not choose Android as a starting point for BB10 developmentSmiley Happy

There's no default syncing API, but it would be easy to import data from a CSV file. You can even use the CSV file as your data storage for your DataManager. (The DataManager is used to populate a ListView).

-------------------------------------------
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development -- Proud member of the Belgian BlackBerry Developer group
Samples: Park in Ghent
Feeling generous? Nominate me for BB Elite member!