Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

Re: Text-to-Speech ??

Hi...

as far as i understood it seems that using this SDK requires an Online connection.. right ?

If so, the devices can't be used in Off-Line mode (where no connection is available). But offline mode this is a must have.

(by nature of this this kind of applicaitons, for people with cerebral desease, we even can not accept a delay time from pressing a symbol-Button to speech longer than 0,5 seconds...)

Greetings

Henning

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

It does.

Your spec is pretty tight for a mobile phone (unless you can guarantee minimal words) and would need some testing but there are other open-source libraries out there...

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

If the text is pre-defined then you can supply audio files instead.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: O2

The point is that there is no chance to have predefined "voice-sentence-mp3" audio files...

The reason why we thought about of using BB is the Keyboard (which is easier to use than other keyboards) and the form factor of the Z10 and Z30 which will fit the needs of people on the road AND have such deseases.

Now it seems that we have to look to other platforms... F.e. WP.

With the new Nokia devices they showed today and the existing devices out there (920 / 1020 etc.) and the new Phablet AND Tablett devices it seems that we will find good alternatives.

And WP/RT has Text-to-Speech build-in in the SDK out of the box.

I have a meeting with MS and Nokia tomorrow to discuss this stuff.

One remark  to the BB people here.... I tried to find someone or connect to someone at BB here in Germany to talk about the planned solution and some marketing/advertising stuff etc.etc.. No chance. Not one call-back, no email... nothing !!!

I know that i'm not developing the 20th Facebook-App/shareWhatEver/SocialMedia-Stuff... but an app that really helps handicaped people to relieve their live... which is very hard enogh if you can't speak or communicate in other ways.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

I agree, sorry no help was forthcoming, best of luck for the future.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.