Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: verizon

To somebody at BlackBerry

I have created multiple posts months ago here and on cascades forum and kept them live by even replying to my own posts in the hope somebody would have the kindness to tell me how to get thumbnails for videos stored on my device. Nobody replied.

The thing is I have an app which is high up in the top grossing section so I am reaching out to BlackBerry in the hope that they will respond for their customers sake. Otherwise the app has to add another 4/5 MB to it's size by including FFMPEG just to pull a frame and save that frame as a JPEG. Getting thumbnails this way is also bad for me and my customers (and BlackBerry's customers) as there seems to be an intermittent issue with FFMPEG and BlackBerry 10 which causes Malloc Check Failed but this is very rare so I have no idea what to do about it - I do know the line where the crash happens and have tried to change the code many times but still the crash occurs every now and again.

Please can somebody from BlackBerry respond to a Developer that is trying his best to be succesful on their platform and tell me how to get a video thumbnail for a video, please.

John

Solutions: 6,379
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: To somebody at BlackBerry

Could you include a link here to those threads so that someone could easily find them?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer

Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi JohnWs,

We apologize for the delay; the fact that you didn't get traction with your forum post (things have been quite busy in my end and I haven't had the chance to browse the forums for multimedia apps related questions).

Unfortunately, at the moment, I don't think there is any easy way (for example with a BlackBerry API) which will allow you to take thumbnails of the media files in the *Shared* folders. For the timebeing, the FFMPEG way (or some other libraries) might be the only way. Also, the 5 MB overhead you mentioned, is that the only overhead you are noticing? That is, the final size of the app is just increased by 5 MB (or when it is processing 1 image)? Or are you saying that is the size for every thumbnail image you are retrieving and saving?

The core media player apps (the ones which are bundled with the production OS) uses some internal libraries and API which allows them to fetch the thumbnails and use them effciently. What you could do, is create an API/feature request through the Developer Issue Tracker (https://www.blackberry.com/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa) and provide some strong use cases (the more the merrier). If you can list some app names, that would help too (again, the more the merrier). We will then leverage your product request against the internal product/development team to get them to expose some API. 

Cheers,
Rashid

Developer

Thanks for giving me an offical answer.

The app filesize is increased by about 5MB is what I mean when it really wouldn't even be more than 1MB in size if it wasn't for including FFMPEG.

I'm just glad that I'm not missing something really simple to get the job done.

John.

Retired
My Device: Bold
My Carrier: Rogers

Note that if you are concerned about the user being suspicious/concerned of the app size being > 5 MB, you can always try to reflect something on the app download description through the vendor portal.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

JohnWS wrote:

[...] tell me how to get a video thumbnail for a video, please.

There is an undocumented, unsupported way you might want to explore:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/MP3-Dilemma/m-p/1597571#M1924

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
Developer
My Device: 8130 / 8350 / 9530 / 9550 / 9850 / PlayBook
My Carrier: Verizon

Don't mean to hijack someone else's thread, but I've been wondering about whether there were internal RIM only APIs, and s_rashid's answer seems to confirm this. Am I the only one that seems to remember when they first started pushing the BB10 platform that one of the main points was that there would be no more RIM only APIs and that us 3rd party developers would get the same tools as RIM so we would be on a level playing field?
Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

CMY wrote:
Am I the only one that seems to remember when they first started pushing the BB10 platform that one of the main points was that there would be no more RIM only APIs and that us 3rd party developers would get the same tools as RIM so we would be on a level playing field?

I remember the same thing.

On BB Java it was quite awful to tell customers that stuff they see on their device is not possible as the APIs are internal.

I can understand that some important companies may get early access to certain APIs, like skype getting headless, but having internal APIs by design i cannot wrap my head around.

----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

I've been pushing for 8 months for a level playing field and the ability to integrate Files & Folders to the same level as the preinstalled cloud apps. In fact, as the way Box & Dropbox are integrated  into BB10 was my idea, it is only fair that we should get a chance to do the same...

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands