Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: myself

Use simulator in QT creator

Hi guys:

I am meet the trouble in use the simulator in QT Creator, when I create a new QNX device in QT, I choice "Simulator" but "Physical device", and I generate the key. When I deploy the build to simulator, the console output notice as follow:

Error: Failed to create application process: Exec format error

and I can find the logo in the simulator, if I click the logo, I crash and notice

"unable to start *** due to error 8"

some guys said that is because I send the ARM version to simulator, is that right? How can I setting the QT to generate the x86 version?

Thanks for the feedback!

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: Use simulator in QT creator

Are you using NDK2/playbook or BB10?

I use Momentics so I don't have a direct answer for you.

The thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/how-to-build-app-for-simulator/m-p/1776501...

confirms the interpretation of the error.

The thread:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development/QT-4-8-1-for-Playbook-How-to-specify-the-t...

discusses how to set the target.

There are many threads on Qt Creator and Qt applications.  If you find specifically how to do this, please post a reply with how to do it, because this has been asked before.

If you are still stuck, please reply and hopefully someone who uses this environment can point us in the right direction!

Stuart

New Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: myself

Hi Smacmartin:

Thanks for your reply, my question is the same as the first thread, and I read the thread 2, it show how to set the device target, I know that and I done this before, but my problem is about how to set the simulator.

Do you have any idea?

And I find that they talk about QT 4.8.1, my QT version is 4.8.0, is it the difference?

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

I assume you've read http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Cascades-Development/using-standard-qml-components/td-p/17963...

I don't use raw Qt or Qt Creator, but I expect that connecting to the simulator should parallel connecting to the device.

Does anyone have the exact steps?

Stuart

Highlighted
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: N/A
My Carrier: Rogers

Yes, an error 8 means you're deploying an arm binary when it should be x86.  Please confirm that your build targets are correct and you're targeting Simulator-Debug.

Developer
Developer
My Device: blackberry z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

Using Qt Creator 3

Choose "Projects" from the left action bar.

There you should have a "Kit" for the simulator. If you use an actual device you should have a -separate- one for that too.

You may need to add the one for simulator via "Add Kit".

eg

Qt 4.8.5 for BlackBerry Simulator - target_10_2_0_1155

with qt mkspec set to blackberry-x86-qcc (for the simulator target)

Further down on the left side of Qt Creator is a "run" or "debug" tool button with your projects name on it.

Here you also want to make sure the correct target is selected (namely simulator in your case).

Then the build should make the x86 target for simulator (as opposed to armv7le for a physical device), and run/debug/deploy should try to run on simulator (which should previously have running (from the main menu: "tools" - "options" - "devices" "add" if simulator isnt already there)