Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: BB10
My Carrier: many

Using cascades screen on top of Native screen.

Hello! I already searched the forum before asking and this topic has been mentioned alot, however, it doesn't seem as the same thing I want to do.

Here's what we have done:

+ create a native screen application using QNX momentics (the one that only displays a blue screen), then,

added a cascades screen.

+ we able to compile and link, and even display the cascades window

the issues are:

+ If we first display the blue screen (call screen_post_window) then the cascades screen won't show.

+ If we omit the call to screen_post_window we can display the cascades screen, however, we can't find a way to close it without closing the whole application (we show the cascades window by calling Application::exec()).

Is it even possible to display native  screen - > Cascades - > return to Native?

Thanks in advance.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: Using cascades screen on top of Native screen.

I know it is possible Cascades->Native window (OpenGL) via Foreign Window.

What is your use case?

Contributor

Well, we have an application (Native/Open GL), we want to do a module where we have some layouts (in cascades) and display them from the native screen, this is the way for us to go as this module will be implemented by many applications.

Developer

*sigh*

many people would give a lot to be able to do this. I don't think it is possible. This is why we have Native *and* Cascades.

Contributor

Have you seen the payment services functions? Basically you call

paymentservice_request_purchase 

and then a screen with options appear (when sanboxed), or the terms and conditions if you are not sandboxed, this is the kind of thing I want to do, if blackberry could do this, maybe there is a way (should be) a way for the developers to create windows like those ones.

I'm currently checking this tutorial 

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/bb10/com.qnx.doc.screen/topic/manual/cscreen_vs...

I'll post if I can get something out of it.

Developer

oh boy... BlackBerry can do much more than ordinary developers. In any case good luck! and please share if you make  any progress.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PRIV
My Carrier: Rogers

Should be doable.

You should create your cascades app first though, and run the opengl stuff in a child window which is shown via a ForeignWindowControl.

I don't think you should be "closing" cascades though.. you would probably just hide all of it's UI elements so just your gl stuff shows through.

Cheers,

Sean

Contributor

The problem is we already have it with no cascades at all, anyway, we went with the dialogs provided by bps/dialog