Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

Visual Studio

Hi,

I was quite excited to see that you could use the BBNDK from within Visual Studio...but then I got sad when I just couldn't make it work.

I have the samples building running and deploying in the Eclipse IDE so I know my compiler is installed correctly. I'm pretty sure the VS plugin did not install correctly...there was nothing in the NDKHostPath or NDKTargetPath under

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerryVSPlugin

so I added

C:\bbndk-2.1.0\host\win32\x86

and

C:\bbndk-2.1.0\target\qnx6

respecively. This got me past the initial error, now, when I follow the instructions and set my 'Blackberry' config I get reasonable looking project properties (I had to change my Platform Toolset to 'qcc') but it basically does nothing. When I Build it says success on VS2012 and fails in VS2010...even if my one and only trivial .cpp file is rubbish. Nothing appears in the output window but I get this log file:

Build started 27/01/2013 11:43:19.
1>Project "C:\Users\Steve\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\BBTest\BBTest\BBTest.vcxproj" on node 2 (build target(s)).
1>InitializeBuildStatus:
Touching "Simulator\BBTest.unsuccessfulbuild".
1>C:\Program Files\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\Microsoft.CppBuild.targets(990,5): warning MSB8012: TargetPath(C:\Users\Steve\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\BBTest\BBTest\Simulator\BBTest) does not match the Linker's OutputFile property value (C:\Users\Steve\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\BBTest\BBTest\Simulator\BBTest.exe). This may cause your project to build incorrectly. To correct this, please make sure that $(OutDir), $(TargetName) and $(TargetExt) property values match the value specified in %(Link.OutputFile).
1>Done Building Project "C:\Users\Steve\documents\visual studio 2010\Projects\BBTest\BBTest\BBTest.vcxproj" (build target(s)) -- FAILED.
Build FAILED.
Time Elapsed 00:00:03.82

I do get a reasonable looking makefile generated but I think the compiler (qcc.exe?) is just not running (even though I get another logfile named 'CompileRan' containing 'true'.

Are there some downloadable .vcxproj files for the samples that I can test? 

Should I have a folder named $(VCTargetsPath)Platforms\BlackBerry\PlatformToolsets\qcc\ImportBefore ? (I don't).

How do I make qcc.exe run as the compiler?

Many thanks for any help

Steve

New Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: N/A

Re: Visual Studio

Well, I hope it's not too late for that, but have your tried the latest Visual Studio plugin? Smiley Wink I spent a lot of my private time in tuning it up Smiley Wink since I took over this project from BlackBerry in May 2014!

There is full support for VS2010, VS2012, VS2013, VS2015, native, OpenGL, Cascades, Qt4 for PlayBook, C++11 and more! Plus you can always report bugs and feature requests on the project's site on GitHub (https://github.com/phofman/vs-plugin).

You don't need to install the official Gold 3.0 version, which is already like half-year old. Instead go to Visual Studio Gallery (or `Extensions and Updates...`) and look for that: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/2b21e9d1-a54b-4d58-878f-2d53604e85b1. This will let you stay connected and be notified about latest version releases.

Thanks!