Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: none

What SDK to use?

I'm a bit confused on what SDK should I download and use. There are three SDKs available (Blackberry 10 Beta, Blackberry 10, Blackberry Playbook). I plan to use cocos2dx library for development. I have Playbook for debugging, and I want to support Playbook, Z10, Q10 and all future Blackberry10 devices.

So my questions:

1) Is it enough to install just a single SDK for above purposes? If so, which?

2) Is it possible to build just a single .bar file to support all Playbook, Z10 and Q10?

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10
My Carrier: Platinumtel

Re: What SDK to use?

You'll need to install at least the Playbook SDK if you want to test on your playbook now.  I found that if you make your code handle the different resolutions automatically (and cocos2dx has tools for this) then no code changes are necessary to run on BB10.  Which BB10 SDK you use depends on the device.  For the Z10, use the Gold core native SDK.  For the Q10, use the Beta SDK.  I imagine they'll soon merge these so only one SDK will be necessary for both/all devices, so if I were you, I'd just use the playbook SDK so you can test on-device, and then when you're ready, download the latest BB10 SDK and simulator and test that way.

As far as I know, you can't build just one .bar to support all devices at present, but you can make multiple .bar files and submit a single file release in BB World with multiple .bar files (one for each platform/language).

Once the playbook has BB10, I suspect it will be possible to release a single .bar file to support all platforms as long as your code can handle different screen sizes and the hardware (chipset) differences.  The only chipset difference I'm aware of is there are two different GPU chips, so if you're doing texture compression you need different builds for those.

----------------
WIP game: Melodaeum
My graphically bland but very useful Morse Code trainer: Speed CW
My graphically attractive but boring game: The Rainstorm
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: x

Re: What SDK to use?

1) You can download the latest NDK from here http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/download/

Then from NDK you can build for Z10 and Playbook (there is separate NDK for Q10 here http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/download/beta/)

2) as of one .bar file for all platforms - I know some people tried to go this way and succeded but it all depends on your app. My personal approach is to build separate .bars for every target - less mess with libraries and assets.