Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

What are the Library files with "S"?

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I've been adding command line PlayBook targeting to my build system, and I stumbled across something I'm curious about.

Inside the lib folders, there are your typical library files like libGLES_CM.a, libGLESv2.a, their .so versions, and so on. However, there are variants of these files with S's in the names: libGLES_CMS.a, libGLESv1_CMS.a, libGLESv2S.a, libEGLS.a, and so on.

What is the S?

I suspected the S might have meant Static, but looking at the file sizes, the S library files are no more than 1-2k larger. Alternatively it could mean Symbols, but I'm not entirely sold on that either. I suppose I could run objdump or nm to find out, but hey, I'm here, so lets ask.

Thanks,
- Mike Kasprzak

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: What are the Library files with "S"?

These are archives containing position-independent (PIC) code.  They are suitable for statically linking content into your own shared libraries, which regular .a files wouldn't be because they aren't PIC.

So, for a given library, you can have the same code packaged three ways for different purposes in

- libxyz.so - dynamically linked at run-time

- libxyzS.a - statically linked into a PIC binary such as a shared library

- libxyz.a - statically linked into another archive or an executable program

HTH,

Christian

New Developer
My Device: Blacberry 10 Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Blackberry

Thanks for goog knowledge

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10LE, DevAlpha C
My Carrier: Telenor, Mobitel

[ Edited ]

Ravi-4u pls pay attention to date of threads in which you are writing posts. You bring alive old dead post, and that causes them to pop alive without new knowledge at all.

Also, you are registered on Monday, and have already 30+ posts, slow down friend, this is no race Smiley Very Happy