Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
New Developer
My Device: BB 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: BB 10
Accepted Solution

What do the QGeoPositionInfoSource Reset Property and valid reset types do ???

Hi,

I have found a Reset property in QGeoPositionInfoSource and Valid reset types are "cold", "warm", "hot", "factory", "ee_data", "almanac", "ephemeris" ????
But unable to found what is the purpose of this property and what are these valid Types do???

Reference : http://developer.blackberry.com/cascades/reference/qtmobilitysubset__qgeopositioninfosource.html

Can anybody help me in this regard?
Faheem

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: What do the QGeoPositionInfoSource Reset Property and valid reset types do ???

[ Edited ]

Hi Faheem,

The reset property enables you to reset the GPS receiver on the phone. The valid types imply varying degrees of the reset state. Over time GPS receivers collect and store data that can be used to assist getting position fixes quickly and accurately. However unlikely it is that a GPS receiver can get into a bad state it may still be necessary that it needs to be reset. What each reset type implies may be dependent on the GPS receiver (it can vary between phone models). Some things can be qualitatively inferred from the type name, and knowledge of GPS terminology.

Be aware that if you set the reset property the receiver will not actually be reset until a position is subsequently requested (i.e. by calling QGeoPositionInfoSource::startUpdates() or QGeoPositionInfoSource::requestUpdate()). Also, the reset may cause a significant delay until the next position update occurs.

Regards,

Jim

New Developer
My Device: BB 10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: BB 10

Re: What do the QGeoPositionInfoSource Reset Property and valid reset types do ???

Thanks Jim for your quick and detailed response.

So does it mean that it only applies to SatellitePositioningMethods and not on NonSatellitePositioningMethods???

Regards,

Faheem

Retired
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Yes, it applies only to the GPS receiver on the device hence from the Qt Location API perspective, SatellitePositioningMethods.

Jim