Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Why is Invoke so stupid?

So my Active Frame app listens to some system event and then invokes the Clock application.

Everything works fine when ONLY my app is the active app.  If I put my app in Active Frame mode and run another app my app gets the event but failed to invoke the Clock application.

Why is the invoke so limited?

It's been over a year since BB10 release and still can't even launch applications properly.  So frustrating and about to give up on BB.

Developer
My Device: Passport Silver, PRIV
My Carrier: Telekom.de, O2, Vodafone

Re: Why is Invoke so stupid?

it's not allowed to invoke an app from a background app -

doesnt matter if minimized ActiveFrame or headless

you can send notification to the Hub and then the user decides when to open the app

as I understood this is to avoid breaking user workflows from apps opening from the back

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ekke (independent software architect, rosenheim, germany)

BlackBerry Elite Developer
BlackBerry Platinum Enterprise Partner
International Development native Mobile Business Apps
BlackBerry 10 | Qt Mobile (Android, iOS)
Workshops / Trainings / Bootcamps

blog: http://ekkes-corner.org
mobile-development: http://appbus.org Twitter: @ekkescorner
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

ekke wrote:

it's not allowed to invoke an app from a background app -

doesnt matter if minimized ActiveFrame or headless

you can send notification to the Hub and then the user decides when to open the app

as I understood this is to avoid breaking user workflows from apps opening from the back

Thanks but sending notification to the Hub is more annoying and does not give a better user experience.  Why would I need to tell the user to manually read the Hub message and then instruct them to select Open so that the app can be launched?

"as I understood this is to avoid breaking user workflows from apps opening from the back"

I'm sorry but i find this just BS.  I can easily launch apps on BBOS7 so why couldn't BB offer the same on BB10?

Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

This is by design. An app in the background is not allowed to take over the UI. The expected flow is that if something needs the user's attention, you put a notification in the hub and they have the option of dealing with it then.

That's the whole point of the BlackBerry 10 experience. It's the user's choice.

You don't need to tell the user anything, because that's how they expect the platform to work. They get an alert, and deal with it in the hub.

Could you imagine some inappropriate app forcing itself into the foreground while an executive is in the middle of delivering a presentation off his device? Or someone building a malicious app that keeps foregrounding itself over and over, or waits for a quiet moment and then pretends to be the login screen of another app or web page? It just causes a huge number of problems to break the user's flow.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker