Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Developer
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Wifi Debug in QDE is very slow

I've been trying to debug apps on the Dev Alpha using Wifi and I'm finding its timing out frequently.

I was hoping to try to see if debugging on USB wouldl be better but I can't seem to connect using the USB (although it autodiscovers it and I can browse the folders in Windows Explorer).  (Password was used and Development mode is on)

Anyone have any suggestions how to improve the debugging on QDE?

---
If you find my post helpful please "like" it and "accept as a solution"
Retired
My Device: Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Wifi Debug in QDE is very slow

Hi Dredvard,

You should be connecting to the IP Address from the Development Mode screen, is it the case?

Cheers,

Developer

Yes, I'm in development.  There is 2 IP address.  One is 192.168.2.X which is my wifi (wireless N), and the other is the USB 169.254.0.13.

It autodects the USB one - however it when you do a build it won't deploy.  In the past I've debugged with no lag issue using Android Java Eclipse on the Playbook via USB.

Wifi deploys fine - however the debugging keeps timing out.  For example I set a breakpoint and it never got past the BlackBerry splash page.  When I just Run it - the console updates fine, so I'm currently using qDebug to console to debug (which can be very slow in cases like when you don't know where in your code a number is getting eroneously changed).

Is it normal for Wifi debugging to be so slow?

---
Developer

**Bump**  Any help would be appreciated.  Debugging is very frsturating right now.

Anyone else have the problem that they can't debug using USB? or have fixed it?  or know how to improve wifi communication speed ?  or does any one else find Wifi debugging times out.

---
Developer
My Device: Q5, Q10, Z10, Z30, PlayBook
My Carrier: Carrier

I can confirm debugging over wifi (even when I am in good range) is painfully slow - takes about 20 seconds or more just to get to the first breakpoint and every time i hit resume takes good 5-10 seconds to move to next breakpoint. Its actually quite unusable for day to day debugging. Instead I am doing a lot of qDebug() <<  's and just run the app.

On the positive side compiling, deploying and running app is much faster in Native SDK than in Flash Builder for AIR apps so I'm not complaining ;-)

I have not tried USB debugging as BB Desktop Manager takes over the connection and takes 30 seconds to find the device.

---
Retired
My Device: BB Alpha
My Carrier: N/A

Hi there,

I am not sure I understand what you mean when you mention that the BB Device Manager "takes over the connection". Are you not able ot detect the device in Momentics?

Martin

Contributor
My Device: bb10 dev alpha
My Carrier: movistar

I developed sometimes in wifi and is a good option, yes, maybe is a little slow compared with usb but works fine.

You can configure easyly using Wizard:

Window -> Preferences -> Blackberry

Developer

I tried it today again and timed it.  It takes 10 minutes for the QDE debugger to get to the opening page (past the BlackBerry splash page) of my app.  Fortunately today it didn't timeout like it often does.

I can rebuild, deploy and run within 30 seconds.  That is what I mean when I say its ridiculously slow.

---
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: bb10 dev alpha
My Carrier: movistar

Hi, your app is very big?

Your Wifi is only for you or is for everyone? If you are in a place with lots of wifis try to change the Channel of your Wifi because this can be the problem

Developer
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

[ Edited ]

Sorry to ressurect dead unresolved threads but I experience the same issue.

On wifi it is ridiculously slow and seems to be from all the libraries it tries to load for debugging that it can't and I dont need it to.

Over WIFI it takes approx 10 minutes for the application to just get to the first screen (and it isn't a very big application).

Over USB

Over USB - assuming your one of the lucky few that can get USB to work with Cascades (on that note - debug over USB works for me via AIR, it is found during setup on Cascades, but will not connect during Cascades launch only) and you happen to always have a USB cable around and hand,y