Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Q10 v10.3.1.1565
My Carrier: {unbranded}

anyone successfull with installing momentics on linux?

I've tried to install momentics on Debian 64bit, but it failes with following message:

./momentics-2.0-201310251201-linux.gtk.x86.bin: 3420: exec: /tmp/install.dir.4557/Linux/resource/jre/bin/java: not found

it seems like the installation packake is broken - it lacks java binary, it even doesn't try to system-wide java at /bin/java

has any body using linux here at all?

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: anyone successfull with installing momentics on linux?

Well I'm doing better than you, so you really have problems. ;-) You might want to look at my post since I had to actually change my desktop defaults to get Momentics to stop crashing. It is particular about the GTK theme. Something I never saw before with any program. IMy post also has a few other tips.

For me, the installation was simple. I just did a chmod +x on the binary and ran it. The installation goes to /opt.   I use opensuse, so I did the installtion from the root directory. I know some distributions don't let you log in as root.

I believe Momentics has java built into it rather than using the java on your linux box. But you post makes me wonder if that is true. The reason I say this is I had some crashes with java 6 messages, and I don't have jave 6 installed. Also the error messages were Oracle related and I have open jdk installed. Note that Momentics is 32 bit code, so there may be issues with libraries or maybe you need a 32 bit version of java installed. As you probably know, with linux you either get the binary from your repository or you build the code. Using binary installers is always a problem, but that is needed with proprietary code.

It would be great to get you past this hurdle so I have another linux user to bug.

Developer

Your post encouraged me somehow to recheck installer again. The installer does have it's own java indeed, but since it's 32-bit exec it gave "not found" which was misleading. I found out I have no 32bit libs - it's first time I am doing something on my host machine, previously I was working on virtualboxes only.

Have you started momentics as root too? First time I tried to install it on virtualbox with 32-bit Debian, there was problem to install "simulator", due to permission problems. I am not sure is it solved already.

Thanks

Developer

I gave up.

what a strange idea to use 32 bit system in 21st century.

there is no ia32-libs in debian, there is "multiarch", you can install any library from i386 you want. it works fine for linux packages. the problem is the bbndk installer doesn't have any dependencies resolution. installing each required library by hand is kind of pain, since each one lib depends on five others.

is there at least one person who didn't migrated to 64bit system for last 10 years? why than 32 bit java is used in bbndk!? grrrrr....

seems I need to install 32 bit debian in virtualbox, but currently I am tired.

Contributor

I started the SDK installation as root, but it stalled. I still need to see where it dumped data, if anywhere, on the root partition.

I understand the need to lock up QNX in the IDE. I can't see why they want to build in Java. But they should supply a dependency list for each linux distribution.
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

On Ubuntu at least the installation only goes to /opt if you install with sudo, which I don't recommend you do. If you do, then you will always have to run qde with sudo for it to function properly. In particular you can't download SDKs without sudo, and Momentics will tell you that you must install an SDK each time you start it without sudo. no matter how many times you thought you installed them. Instead I just installed it with normal privileges, which by default installs it into your home directory. This way you can always execute Momentics with normal privileges.

As for installation on a 64bit platform, BlackBerry really messed this up. There should be a 64bit executable. The latest versions of Ubuntu can no longer install the 32 bit libraries with apt-get that BlackBerry recommends for 64bit Linux. There are alternatives, but this is more difficult than it should be, especially for those Windows devs using Linux as a secondary platform. and since I only use Momentics on Linux to download the Native SDKs so I can cross compile 3rd party libraries for BB10, I said to heck with 64 bit and installed everything in a 32bit VM.

The Momentics installer does indeed include a Java runtime, which will not install on a 64bit system without the aforementioned 32bit libraries. If the version of Linux you are using supports the recommended 32bit libs then you are fine, but if not, you may have difficulty getting the whole package to install.

gariac wrote:

Well I'm doing better than you, so you really have problems. ;-) You might want to look at my post since I had to actually change my desktop defaults to get Momentics to stop crashing. It is particular about the GTK theme. Something I never saw before with any program. IMy post also has a few other tips.

For me, the installation was simple. I just did a chmod +x on the binary and ran it. The installation goes to /opt.   I use opensuse, so I did the installtion from the root directory. I know some distributions don't let you log in as root.

I believe Momentics has java built into it rather than using the java on your linux box. But you post makes me wonder if that is true. The reason I say this is I had some crashes with java 6 messages, and I don't have jave 6 installed. Also the error messages were Oracle related and I have open jdk installed. Note that Momentics is 32 bit code, so there may be issues with libraries or maybe you need a 32 bit version of java installed. As you probably know, with linux you either get the binary from your repository or you build the code. Using binary installers is always a problem, but that is needed with proprietary code.

It would be great to get you past this hurdle so I have another linux user to bug.

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.
Contributor

I think Ubuntu is one of those version of linux that doesn't like to have root as a user. I don't think opensuse (and IIRC fedora) have this problem.

I tried to run qde from root just to see what would happen. I didn't try to load the SDK, just invoke qde. Now here is the interesting thing:

(Momentics:9680): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

Now of course this is nonsense. Dbus is running. Investigating this, I found some bizarre solutions. [Again, with binary installations on linux you go crazy because they are hard to debug).  One insisted installing xulrunner. This might be true in some version of QNX, but it made no difference for QNX10. Annother solutionws was to change the permissions on the dbus programs to other users can own them. I'm not doing that. Messing with a program is one thing. Messing with the OS is another.

dbus bug

The QNX forum looks a bit divorced from this forum, which mght be more targetting to use qde versus getting it running.

If you knw what 32 libraries I need to load, let me know. That is not a problem on opensuse. Of course it is also a solution I never had to mess with before. I've only installed 64 bit binaries until qde came along.

There is also a developers hangout at crackberry, but I'm going to try the qnx forum first.

It wouldn't surprise me if the reason I can't connect to my Z10 via USB from Momentics is a permission problem. I can ping it, but you could ping the CIA if you knew the address. Connecting to a device is another story.

Developer

debian/ubuntu changed in a matter of running GUI applications as root last years.

on gnome, try to use 'gksu' to roon as root - it will preserve all user gui-related enviroument for root, which is missing when running gtk apps by regular sudo/su.

Contributor

SInce I got Momentics running on opensuse 13.1, I would suggest just cringing and installing the IDE/SDK as a user. Weird yes, but it works. Well except for the usb connection. I  got the wifi interface to work. I'm going to do a separate post regarding USB issues.

It might make sense to have a separate forum for installation issues.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

We realize there are a number of challenges to getting Mometics working on linux right now. There will be a lot of improvements in the next realease, including things like 64 bit versions of the tools.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker