Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Mobily
Accepted Solution

beginner and need some help

Hey guys how are you Smiley Happy

I'm planning to start developing on blackberry 10.

but the problem is i don't know which language shall i go with.. i'm planning to build native apps only for blackberry.. and also i'm not into core things.. just wanna make simple apps that works and function well Smiley Very Happy

so i'm into cascades more than core.

also.. i know that cascades needs qml.. i have a basic background about c++ and build some terminal apps before with it Smiley Very Happy.. i'm stuck now because some says that you need to know qt first.. and other say you need to know javascript.. and.. im really not into Java .. but if it's necessary to learn it.. i will Smiley Very Happy

so any guidance here? and thanks all i would be really grateful Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: beginner and need some help

welcome to the support forums.

Qt is a library for c++, but one that replaces most core functionality (and makes it easier, imo).

javascript is not java.

you can start with the Momentics project wizard, it will create a basic application for you.
developer.blackberry.com should have all the information you need, and a lot of sample projects that you can try and depart from to something on your own.

For the UI you can use the (mostly) wysiwyg editor for QML where you can preview your changes instantly.

This should keep you busy for some time, and for more advanced questions you can come back here.

and have fun developing for bb10!
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

[ Edited ]

all right thanks so much Smiley Happy

i will check the site now and do some magic lol Smiley Very Happy

but for know which language shall i go with? qt or javascript? and for UI's we use qml that is based on qt right?

and thanks again for the help Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

the foundation of the app is c++. In a basic application it is only used to create the QML and display it.

QML is similar to javascript, but not the same.

I think it's best to dive into some samples and see for yourself, you can come back with further questions then Smiley Happy
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Thanks again for the awesome help Smiley Very Happy

Gonna check some sample apps and try to figure it out Smiley Happy

I saw on amazon books about coding c++ using qt.. is it necessary for me to learn how to write c++ using qt to build codes on qml? or is qml can only be build using c++? which do you see fit more and (simpler) to learn having in mind that i have a basic background on c++ so im really familiar with it.. and thanks again for the awesome help hope you the best Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

[ Edited ]

I suggest you start here, as one of the platforms may be something you are more familiar with;

http://developer.blackberry.com/develop/platform_choice/bb10.html

I feel I have to clear up something Simon said as it bothered me slightly (sorry Simon), QML is really *nothing* like JavaScript the closest thing it resembles in format is HTML or XML (to be more precise), one being a document markup language and the other being a programming language, however just like HTML it does support the use of JavaScript within its structure.

simon_hain wrote:

QML is similar to javascript, but not the same.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I'd actually recommend taking a look at the following video giving you a brief overview of Cascades:

http://youtu.be/608yBnNYh6I 

You can also check out a quick overview of some of the more useful samples available:

http://youtu.be/wiWm0Vv728A

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker
Developer

Thanks guys for this awesome help.. Now i'm even more excited to learn from the support i found from you guys thanks alot Smiley Happy

i've sat my mind on Qt.. i will start to learn it soon but i have two diffrent kind of learning rescourses.. there is a book that teaches QT4.. and there is a book that about developing GUI in c++ using qt library.. which one guys shall i go with? and all i want to make is really simple apps that work and function well. and thanks again for the help guys Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Do you mean Qt or Cascades? Cascades sits on top of Qt.

By all means read those books but most of the objects described within you probably won't use and some things cascades does a lot better or different.

My suggestion is to work through the online tutorials and documentation, this one I thought was particularly useful when I first started out...

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/documentation/cascades/dev/integrating_cpp_qml/custom_control...

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Red LE Developer Z10
My Carrier: Fido

[ Edited ]

I agree with Simon, but I'd like to add one thing... you do NOT need ANY QML to use Cascades/Qt classes, it can all be done from C++ alone. I have recently rewritten my multiFEED app from the ground up to use Cascades classes almost exclusively from C++. Only two pages with very complicated layouts are still defined with QML, but all the actual functionality in them has also been moved to C++.

One other point I'd like to add... while you can build a Cascades app entirely with QML/JavaScript, you will catch far more errors at coding and build time as opposed to them only showing up at run time if you do it with C++. Also, initial loading of your app is quicker if built with C++ since then it is precompiled when you build it, whereas QML/JavaScript is interpreted every single time your application is run. For simple apps you won't notice a difference, but a complicated app built mostly with QML and JavaScript will start up noticibly slower.

simon_hain wrote:
welcome to the support forums.

Qt is a library for c++, but one that replaces most core functionality (and makes it easier, imo).

javascript is not java.

you can start with the Momentics project wizard, it will create a basic application for you.
developer.blackberry.com should have all the information you need, and a lot of sample projects that you can try and depart from to something on your own.

For the UI you can use the (mostly) wysiwyg editor for QML where you can preview your changes instantly.

This should keep you busy for some time, and for more advanced questions you can come back here.

and have fun developing for bb10!

Developer of Built for BlackBerry certified multiFEED RSS/Atom feed reader and aggregator.  multiFEED Icon

Play nice: Clicking Like Button on posts that helped you not only encourages others to continue sharing their experience, but also improves your own rating on this board. Also, don't forget to accept a post if it solves your problem or answers your question.