Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: bottom menu bar

[ Edited ]

From a memory perspective and a clean shutdown perspective then yes.

If you have a page you expect to be used often then obviously you can cache it but even then you must make sure that all the pages are destroyed when the app is shut down.

I would make *not* destroying pages the exception rather than the rule. Only cache the ones that take a long time to load and are used frequently.

Even then I would consider changing to an asynchronous model for whatever is slowing up the page load and still destroying the page when popped.

[Edit] The navigationPane does not need to be actively managed or deleted it will be destroyed when the app is shutdown just the pages.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer

There are many ways to do this but the most common is to create the page as an object...

onTriggered: {
                    var page = utilitiesPageDefinition.createObject();
                    navigationPane.push(page);
                }

[ ... ]

attachedObjects: [
                ComponentDefinition {
                    id: detailsPageDefinition
                    source: "DetailsPage.qml"
                },
                ComponentDefinition {
                    id: utilitiesPageDefinition
                    source: "UtilitiesPage.qml"
                }
            ]

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer

I will predict a future question you will have about how to pass data back and forth between the pages as it gives me another chance to reference my KB article...Smiley Very Happy

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Native-Development-Knowledge/How-to-pass-data-to-and-from-a-Q...

Developer
My Device: see later
My Carrier: see later

I have navigation pane more or less, and all my qml files go inside the navigation pane. tho i open paege at top...i always push it to navigation pane.

i have 2 questions..ho can i place my menu bar from left at the bottom. also how i pop a menu like the more option does.
Highlighted
Developer

I know these are all linked but for various reasons can you keep it to one question per thread, thanks.

The more option (or overflow) comes up when you have too many ActionItems or deliberately don't place your actions on the bar, to do it deliberately change this line...

ActionBar.placement: ActionBarPlacement.OnBar

to...

ActionBar.placement: ActionBarPlacement.InOverflow

To get a menu bar from the left you are actually talking about implementing a tabbedPane...

http://developer.blackberry.com/native/reference/cascades/bb__cascades__tabbedpane.html