Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: none
My Carrier: none
Accepted Solution

cascade dev and blackberry playbook

hello bb forum

I was watching the past cascades development videos and the presenter said that currently the playbook does not support blackberry 10 os, so apps made with cascades won't work on the playbook as of now. While I don't currently have a play book there is one on the way.

I wanted to start creating some apps that I would be able to put on blackberry appworld, my question is using the new sdk and development tools. Are the current devices supported? Who would be able to download and use the apps. Sorry for the question but I am totally new to blackberry.

blubee.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, Z30, Passport
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: cascade dev and blackberry playbook

welcome to the forums.

at the moment only users with a DevAlpha could download and use your applications done with Cascades.
BB10 launches on 30.01.2013, until then you won't have much of a big audience.

The PlayBook is rumored to get BB10 sometime middle next year, but there is nothing confirmed in any way.
----------------------------------------------------------
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
please mark posts as solved if you found a solution.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Hi simon_hain

Thanks for the quick response. It seems this app build up is for the blackberry 10 phone coming out early next year, which I can completely understand.

That brings up two questions I had then, the current blackberry playbooks out there can't really be used as bb 10 development devices. 

What can I target to build now that would be widely supported and is there a good upgrade path once these apps are released to be upgraded to the new sdk?

Developer

you can use webworks (html5), which supports all bb platforms (java OS, PlayBook, BB10).
Or you could use QtQuick, which is available on both the PlayBook and BB10. If you separate UI and c++ you could also write a new UI in Cascades later.
Or Air, i guess.
feel free to press the like button on the right side to thank the user that helped you.
@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

simon_hain

I see now, that's cool. I think i'll start with web works and continue to learn the cascades to have something ready for the bb 10 launch early next year.

Thanks!

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z30/Z10/Z10LE/Q10/PlayBook

It has been confirmed that BB10 will be coming to the Playbook.
Developer

Bluenoser wrote:
It has been confirmed that BB10 will be coming to the Playbook.

Yes, but not when.

@SimonHain on twitter
Developer

Its a cool thing that the playbook will get bb 10 which is good. I actually ordered one thinking that it already had bb 10. Never the less having a real device to test on will be better than the simulator.

Learning js should be quite interesting until bb 10 rolls out.

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

For what it's worth, based on what RIM people were saying at the end of September in San Jose (Jam Americas), we can expect a beta of BB10 on the PlayBook within a few months after the BB10 phones ship, and a first release of it likely around the beginning of summer.  Put a "plus or minus 2-3 months" on any of those and it's probably a pretty safe bet. ;-)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Highlighted
Developer

simon_hain can I ask you a new question.

I created a webworks helloworld.bar test project using the latest webworks sdk. Now I was having issues loading the .bar file on the playbook simulator but using the dev alpha 10 simulator there's no problem.

My question : I though the webworks projects worked on all blackberry devices? Is this something that will resolve itself once I sign my projects and upload them to the blackberry appworld?