Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

developing apps for musicians - noob

I'm thinking of trying my hand at writing some apps for musicians for the BB10 / Playbook platform.  I have some programming experience in the (distant) past, mostly in C++ and a bit of Java.  I've never coded for a mobile platform really (except a wee bit when I worked at RIM over 10 years ago).  A few of questions from a Noob:

1) For this type of app (apps for musicians that can play musical notes), what is the best environment - Native C/C++ or Java?  Or are both equally suitable? Which is easier?

2) Does the Blackberry 10 / Playbook OS have anything like a built-in wavetable with an API that app developers can use to play musical notes with a variety of instrument sounds, or will my apps have to include audio samples for all of these?

3) Is there a total noob-guide for absolute beginners to get started writing simple "hello-world" type apps for BB10/playbook, and that maybe ease the reader into the various APIs?

Thanks for any help - feel free also to contact me directly with any suggestions:  philkaye@live.ca

Retired
My Device: developer
My Carrier: developer

Re: developing apps for musicians - noob

For BB10/Cascades, check out the sample app cowbell in https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/cascades/sampleapps.  This shows how to incorporate and play wav files in your app.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

1) For this type of app (apps for musicians that can play musical notes), what is the best environment - Native C/C++ or Java?  Or are both equally suitable? Which is easier?

It depends. There is no "best" environment. Each has its own pros and cons. I'd choose one which is most familiar to you, or which is most suited to the requirements of your app. Pick one, prototype your app, learn, evolve your design. Dont be scared to switch, you'll be able to re-use a 90% of what you've learned, whatever the platform you choose.

If you're at home in Java, or if UI is the driving force, then AIR may be a good choice.

If you're interfacing with a website, WebWorks may be better.

If you're a C/C++ person or need low-level, low-latency audio, go native. 

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor

Thanks for the thoughts - i'm going to start off with the native sdk, since i'm more familiar with C++ than anything else.

Regarding the audio aspect of things... is the playbook audio hardware "soundfont" compatible?  Am i going to have to basically create my own wavetables and stuff or are there sountfonts or wavetables built-in ?

Developer

There are no built-in soundfonts or other synthesis functions. However, the OpenAL, ALUT and OpenFrameworks libraries are available, so it shouldn't be too hard to find some libs to do what you want.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Contributor

ok thanks.  would these open libs be compatible with the Tablet OS Native SDK, "out of the box"?

Developer

Mostly. They may need a little tweaking if you're building on a different platform than whoever ported them. For instance, building a Linux port on Windows or vice versa may have some quirks.