Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: verizon

how to know if already purchased app if creating a new trial version

Hi,

I'm thinking of inserting ads into my app and giving the user the option to remove the ads by make a payment using payment api.

The problem is people have already purchased my app so if they download the update how can i remove the ads for these already paid users?

Thanks

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: how to know if already purchased app if creating a new trial version

[ Edited ]

Okay I've been thinking about how to do this since you posted yesterday and anything I can come up with is patchy to say the least.  Your problem is that there is no nice way of determining if there has already been a previous purchase when you switch to an in-app payment model.

You would have to implement this yourself somehow.

Thoughts...

1) Your next update, automatically sets the app as paid using the Payment API, a subsequent update then switches to the Trial method and reads the payment status. The problem with this is that you have to be sure everyone has installed the upgrade before switching to the new method.

[EDIT] Before the second update and after a suitable amount of time has passed you would need to disable downloads of the first update.

There are variations on this such as the update introduces your own server side licensing, which can then be used to verify if the app is previously paid or not but they all have the same problem of potentially upsetting users who haven't upgraded in time.

2) You continue maintaining your current app but introduce a separate 'trial and upgrade' app. Downside of this is that you are then maintaining two separate apps.

3) Similar to number 2 a new app that links to the original as the upgrade path.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: verizon

Thanks for your thoughts on this matter, it's appreciated.

So I'm assuming whilst it's not the preferred method (i read somewhere that the preferred way is in app payments to access full functionality or remove ads), releasing a seperate free version with ads is still acceptable for BlackBerry 10 apps in app world?

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

I've seen it done in many apps, so it's definately accepted. I don't think there is really any other 'nice' alternative.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.