Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: launching other apps

Keep the fight going. If you need amo or use case scenarios, please give a shout. Once this is in place, it would be helpful to register the uri for categories of apps to allow plug and play.
New Contributor
My Device: tablet
My Carrier: trcell

Is there any way to launch a swf file on the browser application or  to play with any other application?

Nurhat

New Contributor
My Device: tablet
My Carrier: trcell

I just used the way you mentioned to play a mp3 file, but does not seem workSmiley Sad
The codesnippet used(openFile method also did not work, the QT Sdk used);
BlackBerry::Navigator::instance().launchUrl(QDir::currentPath()+"/shared/music/x.mp3");

is there anything wrong with the code?

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Has any progress been made with executing specific apps, opening files by extension and/or passing parameters?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: PlayBook

Sorry no progress yet

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Sprint

It's been a few weeks and 2.0's on the very near horizon, so I thought I'd also ask if there's progress to share. I'm sure there's a few of us who have neat things that we'd like to deliver in concert with the final 2.0.

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! Smiley Very Happy
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

elena_laskavaia wrote:

Sorry no progress yet

I hate to keep bugging about this, but we're a year into this "adventure" and still very basic functionality is sorely missing.

With the introduction of native e-mail the need for 3rd party apps to associate with file extensions, and the ability for apps to interrogate and override how files are opened, is more important than ever. 

For instance: a user gets an e-mail with an enclosed file. Tapping the attachment should download it and start up the associated app, if installed. Now the user taps the file, is asked for a filename, but cannot even find the file in File Manager once it has been downloaded. Third-party file managers can show the file but cannot start the associated app.

I've answered dozens of support requests about this functionality over the past weeks.

Three simple things are needed:

1. ability for 3rd-party apps to associate with an extension (already in the AIR manifest)
  2. ability for 3rd-party apps to enumerate apps associated with an extension
  3. ability for 3rd-party apps to open a file usng a specific one of those apps
Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: mobitel

Topic resurrection Smiley Happy

I'm interested in the progress, that has been done on that section.
Is there any info about BB10 supporting that kind of  functionality.
Associate an file type to the app is important for us. But even more is, to be able to launch other 3rd party apps from our app.
Anything anyone can tell about that?
Thanks!