Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

paymentservice_get_price for multiple items at once?

Hello BBNDK Devs,

In attempting to populate our in app store front UI with localized price values of each item, we call paymentservice_get_price in batches for the items displayed (by SKU). This however results in a temporary Loading overlay to be added above the main window for each of these requests (which are done in sequence). Is there any other recommended way of doing this to avoid this? Are there alternate design considerations? We could just not show the price in the UI and have the user only see the price in the purchase confirmation dialog, but this is less than desirable. We could also do a more on the fly scheme whereby we only request visible items' prices, but this results in the user experience being constantly interrupted by this loading overlay. Any thoughts

Thank you!

Stephane

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: paymentservice_get_price for multiple items at once?

Hi Stephane,

Currently the overlay cannot be avoided. For BBOS there was recently introduced a call to retrieve Digital Goods asynchronously (without any overlay) allowing goods to be retrieved in the background. Once this functionality makes its way to the NDK you should be able to do the same.

Cheers,

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

Re: paymentservice_get_price for multiple items at once?

Hi Garett,

That's what I figured. Thanks for the heads up on BB10.

Best,

Stephane