Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Re: screen pixel guideline for Blackberry 10

As I said I've mellowed on my stance, at the time the last thing I and I summise BlackBerry wanted was to have a phone with clone apps looking the same across iOS, Android and BB10. If you design a new radical UI, supposed to be your USP, that's the last thing you need.

The two reasons for a developer wanting to do this are;

1)  You want your app to appear completely different from anyything that's gone before

This is fair enough but you are taking a gamble on users agreeing with your UI choice and it's hard to beat 40 years of design history and will always come with a backlash from users.

2) You are trying to replicate a look and feel across multiple platforms

Again fair enough, barring the reason I mentioned above, but there are already plenty of options out there for cross platform development, BlackBerry have already seeded this so why enable it in the native  SDK for apps you are trying to differentiate.

See only mellowed a little bit. Smiley Happy

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

In summary what you want and what BlackBerry want won't always be in sympatico! (See what I did there Smiley LOL)

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: Red Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

That gave me a chuckle Smiley Wink

Despite some views on the matter, Since this topic has been brough up a few times I went ahead and created a ticket so we can see where BlackBerry stands on the issue

UI element pixel guidelines

https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-1792

Please vote if this is something you're interested in. The more votes the more likely it is that we will get this information.

*Note*

It may take a few days for the ticket to be accessible

*Another Note*

I have had several cases where I have needed this information (& still cases where its useful).  I have never wanted this information to create a radical non BB looking ui Smiley Wink (no B4BB =( ) nor do I intend on going multi platform, Cascades is far too cozy to go anywhere =)  This is simply about saving those of us who have needed and will need this information a lot of time.