Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

_sys_inject_events

Just what I've been waiting for to write some automated testing.

But...

Where is the documentation (believe me I've searched thoroughly)?

What does this enable and where is the api that allows us to inject events?

If it's talking about the standard BPS or screen api then it sure doesn't say so and if it is I'm bitterly disappointed.

Any one?

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: _sys_inject_events

I believe it was mentioned in a webcast somewhere that this one exists primarily for certain special "close partners" or such, e.g. carriers, to use for their testing. I expressed the same concern as you that, without this, full automated testing is extraordinarily difficult, and I think they said they'd take that into consideration... :-P

This thread is probably a good thread to explain our justifications etc. I pointed out that it could be something available to developers when Development Mode is enabled, and should have no real security risks associated with it as a result. (Though perhaps the way they've implemented it means they can't expose it even that way without some security risks.. who knows.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

I agree I'd be satisfied if it was development only however that is achieved, I've wanted to put together a simple record and playback testing app for a while now but each time I've looked at the docs it doesn't look possible.

I got overly excited when I saw this and thought the time had come.

This is simple to do on other platforms and surely something a lot of us are calling out for. Giving developers this ability can only reduce the time it takes us to test our apps and release, a win-win for us and BlackBerry.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. Smiley Happy

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

[ Edited ]

One thing I haven't actually tried, however, is just adding that to an app and seeing whether it can be deployed in dev mode. It's possible it can be... I think the headless permissions allow that, don't they? Maybe this one does too, even though I asked about that and was told directly this wasn't possible.

(Edit: obviously if we *can* use the permission in dev mode, we still need info about the APIs etc, as you originally asked. Maybe that's something that can be reverse-engineering from some relevant library... I would assume this is just another PPS-based mechanism, so the "schema" for the appropriate /pps/.../automation/control object is possibly all we'd need to figure out, or be given, to make this work.)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

[ Edited ]

Funny you should say that as I did that as well searching the 10.2 ndk for any mention of a new api without success.

Doesn't mean it's not there just that it's not obvious without deeper digging.

I should think  though that partners get a 'fuller release' than us.

Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course
My Carrier: Vodafone

Isn't this related to the "Screen services" item on the roadmap?

"Various screen services that allow an app to take screenshots, initiate a VNC-style screen share and inject touchscreen and keypad style events into the screen window."

I remember it was talked about off-record a year ago at  BB Jam in San Jose, and again more formally this spring in Orlando. No mention was made that this would be for carriers or close partners only.

However, I can understand that BB would want to exercise some control over these API's, as they could be used for illicit purposes. So far I haven't even seen any documentation though.

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands