Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

Native Development

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Virgin

wavetable, synth or sample engine?

There appear to be at least a couple of virtual piano type apps available for Z10.  This is not what I want to write, but a virtual piano app would have something that I need - a wavetable synth or sample engine.  It's not as simple as having it play .wav files when you press a piano key, because the key could be depressed for an aribtrary amount of time, and simply cutting-off a sample of a piano key to terminate it would not give a natural release sound.  A sample engine would typically define attack, loop and decay regions in the samples.  A wavetable synth, I believe, works differently than a true sample engine, but I'm not exactly sure of the details.

I find it hard to believe that somebody went to the trouble of writing their own sample or synth engine for a simple virtual piano app for the BB (seems like quite a nontrivial task), and yet the developer documentation does not seem to indicate that the Blackberry API provides this kind of library for you.  There are 3rd party libraries that could be ported, I imagine with some difficulty.

Does anybody have any suggestions?  Do you know of a relatively simple way to get this type of functionality  in a BB10 Cascades app?